Day 1 - Olathe Colorado to Gunnison Colorado - It Remains To Be Seen - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2022

Day 1 - Olathe Colorado to Gunnison Colorado

Heart 0 Comment 0

James and Jerrell left James' house around 6:30AM Saturday. It was a beautiful morning with the temp being 52°. Not far down the road Jerrell had to make some adjustments on his bike, other than that, both Phoenix's made the day well! Their ride today took them over Cerro Summit and Blue Mesa Summit. They rode  some 6-8% grades. One of the fastest speeds they saw were 45mph. There is also a six mile stretch of road construction. Jeanette, (James wife) was kind enough to drive the men and their bicycles through it. Once back on the road it was a much easier ride past the Blue Mesa and into Gunnison. The gearing on the bikes worked well for the climbs. Jerrell has a 12SP  11-50 cassette on his recumbent. He has a triple chainring on the front which he can use the 30T or the 39T if he chooses the correct gears on the rear.

Elevation 8,042'
Heart 0 Comment 0
Resting under the shade tree after their climb up Blue Mesa Summit
Heart 0 Comment 0
Blue Mesa Reservoir
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Western College, Gunnison, CO
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the balcony at Ol' Miners Steakhouse
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 miles (124 km)
Total: 77 miles (124 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jeanna & Kerry SmithSound like a good first day, though I have to say that 52 degrees isn't in the "beautiful" range in our book! Having SAG support is wonderful. We've had only a few short days of that in our tandem travels. Have a safe and happy ride.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago