Day 34: Champaign to Crawfordsville - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2023

Day 34: Champaign to Crawfordsville

Heart 0 Comment 0

Rest day and some proper food really did the trick.  Realised I was enthusiastic about getting going again yesterday afternoon.

After a sprightly start I was dropped by Doug and Simon, then passed by David. I was soon picked up by Joel, with two of his friends from home; Brad and Bob.

They paced us perfectly for 57 miles (including a quick garage stop and a SAG) before they paused again. I’d planned to stop at the cinema cafe in Hillsboro at 62 miles so pressed on. The cinema cafe was occupied by a reunion party, which was a shame because it looked kooky. After a sandwich and some pie in the Chatterbox Cafe I was ready to go again. Ticked over nicely all the way to the hotel.  Hadn’t felt this lively for a couple of weeks.

Temperature was quite fresh as we left the hotel but soon rose to a pleasant level. Very flat terrain and relatively quiet roads. Lots of corn and increasing amounts of trees. Crossed into Indiana and another time zone.

Big changes to the personnel. Paul arrived to complete his tour in a third instalment. He is a friend of Jean’s. Fred joined the crew to stay with us to the coast. Sadly, Peyton left the tour to go back to work. He’s a Champaign boy so only rode the first few miles with us.

We had a team talk tonight from Paula about arrangements when we get to the coast. Only two weeks to go.

Peyton and Christine
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes on the wall of the cinema
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
1955 high school basketball team photo in the ChatterboxCafe
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Paul, Jean and I walking back from a milkshake
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 81 miles (130 km)
Total: 2,353 miles (3,787 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Hugh MonroHaving missed a few of your entries I’m catching up and seeing how far you’ve got is amazing and the day off was well deserved.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago