Day 29: Chillicothe to Kirksville - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2023

Day 29: Chillicothe to Kirksville

Heart 0 Comment 1
Kevin JohnsLooking at those pictures of endless lumps and bumps, it looks gruelling.
Similar to ‘The Smuggler’ not really !
Hopefully the enjoyment is still outweighing the pain . Glad to hear you are over the sickness bug as well.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Among my hardest days on a bike. Temperature well into the mid-30s for most of the time, humid and one little climb after another.

The photos say it all.  Few of the hills were more than 100ft but their repeated pattern and gradients up to 12% made this a grueller.

May not have managed my liquid and food intake very well because of the heat, which put me off my appetite. Have to watch out for this.

Started OK with Simon and Doug for 12 miles then cruised to the first SAG. Started to fade a couple of miles before I got there.

Rode with Stephanie after the SAG and again faded at about halfway. There’s a pattern here!

Dana crept up behind me and gave me a push

Very hot and tired at the second SAG. Recuperated a little with lots of water, a lie down and an invigorating ice pack down my back. Took it steady for last 22 miles and picked up a bit.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Only went on like this for 75 miles
Heart 1 Comment 0
First SAG
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Second SAG
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 76 miles (122 km)
Total: 1,997 miles (3,214 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Hugh MonroAnother good report of the days ride, clearly as you say a gruelling one.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago