Day 2: Manhattan Beach LA to Moreno Valley - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 7, 2023

Day 2: Manhattan Beach LA to Moreno Valley

Manhattan Beach
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

First day riding. Breakfast at 5.30 then back upstairs for final packing and chamois cream. We all assembled outside at 6.45 for the route rap from Paula, with our bikes spread out around the front of the hotel. Mid way through the rap the lawn sprinklers turned on, soaking my bike (and me retrieving it). Set off at 7.30 and rode the 5 miles to Manhattan Beach in a convoy for the wheel dip and photos. We then turned inland to cycle through Manhattan toward Compton and Lakewood.  This was weird riding as the grid system and road rules meant constant stopping, waiting and accelerating. Fortunately the Sunday morning traffic was light. After the chi-chi coastal community there was a gradual decline in SES culminating in a rundown industrial area with families sleeping in broken down RVs or under tarpaulins hung off the fence. 

Quick SAG at Seal Beach Park (28 miles) then out to the suburbs proper. Past Anaheim and onto the Santa Ana River Trail.  This was the first time off big roads, and at 50 miles from the start we began to feel like we’d left the city.  The trail cross-crossed the river of for about ten miles, with parts where we could fly and others where we shared the trail and had to take it easy. There was a stinky little ramp from the trail to rejoin the road, and then a flat stretch to second SAG in a park in Corona. No nice looking coffee shops, and feeling bit caffeine depleted I tipped a bag of jelly belly extreme sports beans down, along with some peanuts and an energy bar.

After the SAG there was a long stretch of road with loads more traffic lights and stop signs that prevented us getting into a rhythm and then a nappy little climb through some fancy suburbs, leading to a long avenue with orange plantations, again with stop signs. This lead to the biggest climb of the day (700 ft over 3 miles). I’d had hot foot since second SAG and it bit hard here with the extra pressure. The caffeine from the beans kicked in here too, leaving me fizzing and glad to get to the top.  Will stick to half a pack at a time in future.  Also badly need to adjust my cleats.

Last few miles to the hotel was tender, so glad to check in and get a chocolate milk with Mark and Ron. 

Very welcome lasagne and salad for dinner.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Through the orange plantation
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tom
Heart 1 Comment 0
Howie
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 1
Steve ParkerNeed those shades for an outfit like that Peter! 😎
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

Today's ride: 85 miles (137 km)
Total: 95 miles (153 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0