Day 3. Moreno Valley to Indio - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 8, 2023

Day 3. Moreno Valley to Indio

After we left Moreno Valley we had an enjoyable 16 mile dash for a quick stop at a garage for snacks. There was to be a major stop at 38 miles where the whole group was to gather. Several of us pressed on, in my case to allow for a longer break to kick my shoes off for a while. There was an 11oo ft climb on the shoulder of Lamb Canyon Road first and then a brief descent to Beaumont, where we waited to regroup. 

Beaumont did not look prosperous. There were trailer parks and closely packed small metal clad houses, lots of unhealthy looking takeaways and beaten up cars on the road. Most of the local people looked indigenous. Didn’t see a single US flag.

We needed to be together so that we could be escorted through the Morongo tribal reservation. The police were great sports and some riders felt they enhanced the view.

Spent the rest of the day with Simon Galpin, blasting down a long descent, pushed along by tailwind and averaging over 30mph for miles and miles through the desert toward Palm Springs.

Managed to run over a 3ft long snake and in the excitement we missed the last SAG, so decided to press on.

We’d started the morning at a fresh 13C, but it was about 32C in the cloudless sky. The traffic in PS was heavy and then a fairly long stretch past golf resorts, with plenty of junctions continued to break the rhythm. The contrast between the affluent tourism in PS (air-conned terraces and shiny shops), along with its landscaped and immaculately tended resorts and the feeling in Beaumont was stark.

A road closure caused us to pause, and in the end a lack of an obvious detour forced us to find a way to find a way through the construction site. After messaging the others to warn them, we completed the ride.

Despite moving my cleats the hot foot recurred at about 75miles so I called in to Walgreens to get some pads.

Long ride through the desert tomorrow and an advisory for strong winds.

Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve ParkerGood mileage and average speed Peter - nice one.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Barbara, Jill and Steph outside the casino
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 90 miles (145 km)
Total: 185 miles (298 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0