Day 13: Grants to Albuquerque - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2023

Day 13: Grants to Albuquerque

Heart 0 Comment 0

Fresh morning with wet roads after overnight rain.  The weather forecast warned of thunder storms, especially as the day wore on.

After yesterday I’d decided to take it easy, but was led astray by Simon, Doug and David. For once the group held, with us taking 2-3 mile turns until the first SAG at 31 miles, which we reached at an average of 24.1 mph.

We’d been on Route 66, running adjacent to the interstate. The road had a good surface and had been gently undulating, giving us about 600 feet of altitude drop over the 30 miles. We were still on a plain of desert scrub, punctuated by isolated rocky hills and with bluffs and mesa forming the sides of valley.

Immediately after the SAG we rejoined the interstate. We’d anticipated that we couldn’t work as a four because of the debris on the hard shoulder, which soon proved to be the case.  We split into two groups and I held with David until a few miles before the next SAG at 57 miles. The undulations on the interstate were longer and more pronounced and I got dropped.

Second SAG was in the car park of a desert casino and marked the end of our interstate riding for the day. My rear tyre was squishy and I duly pulled out a piece of wire. Being a SAG we had more tyres and a track pump so I was soon on my way. Thank you Gary!

By recent standards there was a big climb straight after the final SAG. Route 66 was now a frontage road again, parallel to the interstate. It was noisy but we were spared the traffic and debris, and for the most part the surface was good. The 600ft ascent took the form of a heavy drag at grades of up to 5%. Over the crest the route started to descend, although there were some undulations before another brow showed Albuquerque spread out in front of me. A long straight steep drop into the city was eventually slowed by vehicles, stop signs and traffic lights. 

In the city the motorists were mostly respectful. I crossed the Rio Grande but was soon halted by another flat with a nail in my rear tyre. The change went very well except that the new supply of tubes has screw-in valves. You can inflate the tyre only to let all the air out as you remove the valve innards when you unscrew the pump. Luckily Tom and Alena were just behind me in the truck with a track pump. The last few miles to the hotel were uneventful, getting me in at 1pm after 80 miles and practically none of the threatened rain.

Several of us went to Applebee’s over the road for smoothies and chicken wonton until we could get in our rooms. Applebees again for dinner, and a good chat with Lisa about PH.

Vincenzo is leaving the tour today to start a new job. We had cake in the hotel lobby to see him off. David (the entertainer) burst into a Roy Rogers song that all the Americans knew. He has a voice that sustained his long career.

Into the hills tomorrow, with rain forecast.

Route 66 in the morning
Heart 0 Comment 0
Physical and economic geography. Rural NM is not rich. Most of the people we meet are aboriginal Americans or Hispanic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Second SAG
Heart 0 Comment 0
Second SAG. Guessing I’d say the casino is a source of income for an Indian reservation
Heart 0 Comment 0
Second SAG
Heart 0 Comment 0
View down into Albuquerque. Up into those hills tomorrow
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rio Grande
Heart 0 Comment 0
It’s a wonder it punctured really
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The trains are long
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 miles (126 km)
Total: 896 miles (1,442 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0