Day 12: Gallup to Grants - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2023

Day 12: Gallup to Grants

Heart 0 Comment 0

After yesterday’s character building we needed a bit of gratification today. I set my stall out by getting up early to use the Aeropress.

The air was fresh after heavy overnight rain, but the roads had dried. Simon, David, Doug and I formed a chain gang, which held together for the first 20 miles.  Doug and Simon are too fast for me.  We were supposed to climb up to the Continental Divide then descend the last 35 miles to the end. The route profile deceived us as it was pretty flat with just a slight rise before halfway.

Route 66, for the first 17 miles, was quiet and fairly smooth, but with little undulations that threatened seasickness. We had to rejoin the hard shoulder of I40 for 11 miles, but were spared any flats. The most exciting bit was when we had to join he main carriageway for about a mile because of roadworks. We must have been a nuisance, blocking the single lane for all the big wagons. Hats off to the truckers who never once hassled us.

More joy at the SAG, with lemon cake and an iced coffee from the store.

 David and I paired up for the last 35 miles, taking two mile turns. Such an enjoyable blast. By now we were back on Rte 66, which mostly had a great surface and a gentle descent. It was dual carriageway for a good stretch too, largely giving us the road to ourselves.

The first part of the ride had continued the wide valley enclosed by cliffs. The valley floor was scrubby desert. The scrub continued after the great divide, only now there were mountains in the distance either side.

We got to the hotel by 11.15. Obviously no chance of checking in, so we all regrouped back in Grants at the 1912 Market Place coffee shop. Excellent coffee and really friendly locals. After an hour or so we started to feel hungry. Todd had found the Junkyard Brewery and Barbecue about a mile down the road on Google that seemed worth a visit.  Such a great place!  Alien Stout (Roswell is not far away) and pulled pork among furniture and decor made from cars.  Fantastic host too, doing all the work, pouring the beer and barbecuing in an old van outside.

A fantastic day. Everyone cheered up no end.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Morning chain gang
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Maria MorganNovel table, but not sure how practical it is!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
As
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 miles (113 km)
Total: 818 miles (1,316 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jacquie Dartall wonderful photos over the last few days - been busy and not checked in to see them. have you only got a phone? or will the be some with a camera?

keep well!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Pete FrostReally enjoying your well written and interesting blog and your great photos! Hope the trip is living up to your expectations, apart from the punctures!✌️🤔
Reply to this comment
11 months ago