Anastasia State Park to Faver-Dykes State Park - Rose Pedals in Florida - CycleBlaze

December 6, 2021

Anastasia State Park to Faver-Dykes State Park

We welcomed in a new day after a comfortable sleep in the hammocks then began our day with coffee before first light.

Coffee at the Campground. Cool multi hued rechargeable light a great gift from my friend Tammi.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A sippy cup of coffee and we were headed to the beach for the sunrise.

First light at Anastasia State Park, Saint Augustine, Florida.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another beautiful sunrise with Matt.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As we sat on the beach watching the sunrise crest over the horizon. Smiling and laughing as the sun came up, we made our way back to camp to pack up.  

Around mid morning we made our destination decision. We would be overnighting at Faver-Dykes State Park and stick close to the coast until we had to turn West. Hopped on the bikes and rolled South.

Plenty of paths and bike lanes this morning, which is always greatly appreciated. Even a sculpture park alongside A1A.

We popped into a Publix to grab some provisions for tonight's dinner. Then off to Alvin's for a pink pool noodle! We rolled to Crescent Beach for a swim in the Atlantic ocean.  We met a few picnickers who offered to watch our bikes. We quickly made our way to the ocean, laughing we jumped in!

Brrrrr! The Atlanic is chilly on an overcast winter day. As quick as we were in, we were out. We made the sandy trek back to the bikes, extended our appreciation to the picnickers, then started west via Google cycling maps. Note: expect the unexpected with Google directions.

Google cycling map directions should come with warnings such as:

Stay flexible. We will get you to your destination and then again we might not.

Caution unknown road surfaces ahead...you don't ask, we don't tell.

Be prepared for quick dismounts.

You're on the menu. Mosquitos ahead.

Listen for banjos, pedal faster.

We made a turn onto a paved road, that turned into a service road for power poles. It's all good, we are strong and tough touring cyclists. Lol. Sand, rocks and mosquitos awaited us. Google must have made a deal with the mosquitos because they were having a feast as we changed course and headed back to busy US Highway 1.

A few miles of busy US 1, Matt and I stopped in for some fresh OJ to mix with my protein powder. Our final miles for the day were a mix of pavement and alot of dirt deep into Faver-Dykes State Park.  Another beautiful ride deep into the forest.

At our campsite we had pavement and direct access to the bathrooms.  We managed to find trees far enough apart to hang the hammocks. Have I mentioned how comfortable the hammocks are versus the tent?  It has become my preference. I love it!

Cooking dinner together with Matt has become a favorite of mine. Team effort and deliciousness is made on the duel jet boils. Tonight was no exception. Blackened chicken breasts, long mileage 🚵‍♂️💯 couscous and sauteed vidalia onion. 

Dinner is served!
Heart 2 Comment 0

With our bellies full, we cleaned up camp. We hung up everything on the line so the little bastard with thumbs didn't get another free meal.

Shortly after showers and our best attempts to update our blogs, I was asleep swaying in the hammock.

Another great day on adventure!

Today's ride: 25 miles (40 km)
Total: 392 miles (631 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0