Fernandina Beach to Little Talbot Island - Rose Pedals in Florida - CycleBlaze

December 3, 2021

Fernandina Beach to Little Talbot Island

Welcome to my final tour of 2021. My good friend Tammi and her travel partner drove me to Fernandina Beach to meet Matt Stevenson. Matt and I met on the Erie Canal Trail in Middleport, NY in late August 2021. He contacted me in early November to ask if I'd like to spend a few weeks in Florida cycling together. In the spirit of adventure, I said YES!

Matt was waiting for me on the bench in front of our meeting spot. After saying our goodbyes to Tammi, Matt and I got my bike ready to go.

We pedaled over to the East Coast Greenway trail and shortly found a good rhythm. The ECG is a beautiful trail in this area of North Florida. It is a peaceful path away from traffic, lined with sabal palms, wax myrtles, green palmettos, live oaks and other native flora.  

As we were getting close to the end of the day, we stopped at Boneyard Beach on Big Talbot Island.  On this magical beach one can explore the massive driftwood oak trees along the shoreline which is part of the Timicuan Ecological Preserve. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

Shortly, we made our way to Little Talbot island to check the camping availability there. The park attendant James said it was full, but one site was available since the previous customer purchased two sites and only used one. He gladly gave us this site at no charge. Thanking him for his kindness, we turned in the direction of the campsite. We pedaled along with the attitude of gratitude, feeling blessed to have a great spot for the night.

Our campsite at Little Talbot Island. Power, water, hot showers, a picnic table and laundry.
Heart 3 Comment 0

In short order, we set up our hammocks and began cooking dinner together. The spaghetti and buttered bread were so delicious and filling at the end of our first day.

The spaghetti was delicious. The bread disappeared before the pic! Ha!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We turned in after hot showers and laundry. This was the first time sleeping overnight in a hammock and I found it quite comfortable.

Matt and I shared hammock straps this evening. His were extra long and mine standard length. Combined we were able to reach the trees.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 11 miles (18 km)
Total: 450 miles (724 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Kelly IniguezTwo hammock users! That must be a record. Tell us more about hammocks, please.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rose Craig-KinnonMore about hammocks...
Way better than a tent. No pressure points when you sleep. Easier and faster to set up. They can be used as a chair or a swing and are usually less bulky than a tent.
Matt's hammock is a ENO Junglenest and mine is an ENO double nest. We use our lightly inflated air mattresses to give us a barrier for the cold. Matt uses a down quilt and I use a sleeping bag at this time. Matt's straps are 16' and mine are 10'.

Hardest thing you will do all day is climb out of hammock, per Matt.
I say it sure beats being sore as heck the next day from sleeping on hard ground.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago