Joshua Tree National Park … kinda - PedalPushin Southwest 2023 - CycleBlaze

January 14, 2023

Joshua Tree National Park … kinda

Hmmm … how do you describe this day?

It started when the diesel pickup kicked in his engine at 5:30 right outside our room and was then left it running for 20 minutes. Then starting at 6:30, another guest decided to start testing whether his remote worked on his car so the beeps continued for about 20 minutes before he finally started the car and left. Meanwhile we didn’t sleep, the weather was showing 41 degrees and the rain was predicted to start around 12:00. 

To ride or not … off to Joshua Tree National Park we drove. 2 hours later we had 46 degrees, threatening clouds and the winds were pushing 15 mph at the visitor center. 

Not a happy sky …
Heart 5 Comment 0

To ride or not … opted to take a 1 1/2 mile stroll in the park while watching the sky and then saw another cyclist. 

Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltBarrel cactus. Notice the interlaced spines have a triangular cross section.

https://swbiodiversity.org/seinet/taxa/index.php?taxon=3015
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Larry MitchellTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Couldn’t stand it anymore so we parked, got the trikes together and decided to take our chances with the darkening skies. Short ride we told ourselves … so out and back … only sprinkling rain … out and back the other direction. In the end we got a short 11 mile ride in, state #44 now in the books and the real rain didn’t start until an hour later. We won today. 

Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltThat stretch with the boulders is my favorite part of Joshua Tree
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Larry MitchellTo Bill ShaneyfeltIt was quite dramatic … definite revisit sometime in the future.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 11 miles (18 km)
Total: 113 miles (182 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Kelly IniguezThat looks exactly like the kind of ride I'm taking in Tucson today - not straying too far from home. I also went for a walk to test the day. I got so much blowing dirt in my eyes that I had to take out my contact lenses and clean them when I got home.

Wish me luck, I'm hoping for 20 miles, but am determined to ride at least 10.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Larry MitchellTo Kelly IniguezHope that ride turned out. We should be in the area early this week.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonSorry you didn’t get good weather in Joshua Tree. It’s a beautiful place.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Larry MitchellTo Rachael AndersonYes it is … not our first time here but first time on bikes. Definite redo sometime in the future.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago