Gainesville Hawthorne Trail - PedalPushin Southeast 2023 - CycleBlaze

March 2, 2023

Gainesville Hawthorne Trail

Heart 0 Comment 0

Florida keeps delivering on the wonderful cycling paths. Today’s target was the Gainesville Hawthorne Trail and after our 37 miles, I can certainly recommend it. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

We started just south of downtown Gainesville and proceeded to the eastern end with a few side trails thrown in to see the Sweetwater basin. The trail was wide, mostly smooth, with a few small rollers thrown in to keep things interesting. At one point we saw a small boardwalk so we parked the trikes and took a look. Well worth it as we caught an alligator small sunning itself as well as a few lizards. With good tree cover, the warm and humid day didn’t get too hot and we simply enjoyed the ride. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltNice cooperative green anole!
https://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/design/gardening-with-wildlife/anoles.html#:~:text=The%20green%20anole%20is%20commonly,pink%20dewlap%2C%20or%20throat%20fan.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The route back was much the same though we did decide to go into Gainesville a bit past where we parked the rental, but not being a fan of urban riding, we simply turned around and called it a day. 

We are now sitting and trying to decide where to ride for our last few days. Actually quite tough as there are quite a few choices. 

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 563 miles (906 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0