Ochlockonee Bay Trail - PedalPushin Southeast 2023 - CycleBlaze

March 1, 2023

Ochlockonee Bay Trail

Heart 0 Comment 0

Another warm morning, another reason to go for a ride … we are getting used to this thinking. It will be hard to return I’m also thinking. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today we started in Sophoppy … not really sure the correct pronunciation but one could come up with several ideas. The goal of the ride was to get to the Gulf of Mexico and the Ochlockonee Bay trail fit the bill. The actual ride was quite pleasant as we had some cloud cover and we cycle through a wildlife refuge with a total of 3 cars and 2 other cyclists for the first 10 miles. After 12 miles we came to a road junction and simply kept riding until we reached the end of the road at the Gulf. Nothing real exciting but Lisa got to take off her shoes and walk in the sand. I’m not a fan of the sand so I sat in my trike and just relaxed. One other person was at the beach and introduced himself as the caretaker. Not sure what he was taking care of except the chair that he was sitting in. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the ride back, I noticed another bike path that went north towards Panacea so we opted to get a few extra miles and rode until the bike path became a sidewalk. I believe this path is new enough that it hasn’t made the various sites and apps. 

We returned the same way we rode in and only saw 2 cars and a few local cyclists. Never saw any wildlife in the refuge, few birds before the refuge and no alligators. Maybe tomorrow …

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 526 miles (847 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0