Day 18 - Mt Buffalo - Australia Gold Fields, Grampians and Great Ocean Road plus The 7 Peaks - CycleBlaze

November 15, 2019

Day 18 - Mt Buffalo

Peak #2

Today I climbed Mt Buffalo which is located in a National Park by the same name.  This was my 2nd of the 7 Peaks and possibly my last.  Of the climbs the group has done thus by far it was the prettiest.  It was an unrelenting 20km climb averaging 5% all the way.  The flattest it ever got was 2%.  My total day was 77km with 4800ft of climbing.  Luckily the weather was good and not nearly as cold at the top as yesterday.  On the way down I was swooped again but this time I was ready for him because I was on the lookout and I heard him coming.  Nonetheless it is a bit disconcerting when these things smack your helmet.  The link below is a short video showing magpies at work.


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TXIy6CzcO_g

The start of the climb.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A small water fall over the rocks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Crystal brook falls and the view beyond.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Again the view at the falls
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the top after 3 hours of climbing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A panorama of the valley below Mt Buffalo.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another view
Heart 0 Comment 0
The chalet at the top that is not open this time of year.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I spotted this guy going across the road on the way down. We have seen many dead lizards but this skink was very much alive. Blue-tongued skinks[2] comprise the Australasian genus Tiliqua, which contains some of the largest members of the skink family (Scincidae). They are commonly called blue-tongued lizards or simply blue-tongues or blueys in Australia. As suggested by these common names, a prominent characteristic of the genus is a large blue tongue that can be bared as a bluff-warning to potential enemies.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltNice picture! Looks like maybe a blotched blue-tongue. Good to see a live one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-tongued_skink
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Today’s climb, up and back down.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonWhat goes up must come down! Fast too!!!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The stamp to prove it.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 230 km (143 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0