Day 15 - Wangaratta to Bright - Australia Gold Fields, Grampians and Great Ocean Road plus The 7 Peaks - CycleBlaze

November 12, 2019

Day 15 - Wangaratta to Bright

A rail trail ride

Today was a lovely ride on a paved rail trail from Wangaratta to Bright, crossing the 1000km mark since arriving in Australia.  Since we arrived late yesterday after a long ride we had no time to see the town so I went for a walk before breakfast and then we also toured on our bikes before hitting the trail.   Being a rail trail the gradients were gentle maxing out at 3% with the total climb for the day a measly 1200ft over the 90km.  Sadly the rides to come are brutal but I am not planning to do them as prescribed.  More on that in days to come.   We rode through the King Valley which is known for wine, cattle farming and hops growing.  For the latter part of the day we had Mt  Buffalo National Park with is peaks off to our right.  Tonight we went to a local micro brewery for a beer tasting and dinner.  I was not crazy about the beer so I had wine with my pizza.

The Grand Central Hotel in Wangaratta dating back to 1910.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Holy Trinity Cathedral and the memorial garden in the foreground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of several beautiful stained glass windows. This one reminded me of puppy who is a little black devil.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Australian and Aboriginal flags
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bishop’s lodge in Wangaratta erected in 1904.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rail trail map for today. Our profile was the one in the middle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The signage on the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
A mailbox along the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were really hassled by the flies today buzzing all around when you stopped. When riding they hitched a ride on our clothing, what I wouldn’t do for a tail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bicycle art on the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of several wineries in the King Valley. Sadly we rode right past it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Big Tree in Myrtleford. It is the largest red gum in the district and is over 200 years old.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mt Buffalo Park and it’s peaks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The park again through a field of hops.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ron and Deb on the trail as we approach Bright.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are in Bright tonight and then back again on Thursday for 3 nights.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I haven’t found an Australia souvenir jersey but Deb found this one from King Valley in a thrift store for $5 so I bought it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The beer tasting tonight. I didn’t really like any of them so I had a local Shiraz with my pizza margarita.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 430 km (267 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0