Day 16 - Bright to Omeo - Australia Gold Fields, Grampians and Great Ocean Road plus The 7 Peaks - CycleBlaze

November 13, 2019

Day 16 - Bright to Omeo

#3 Gave it a miss

Today we went from Bright to Omeo over Mt Beauty and up to Falls Creek at the height of almost 6000ft.   It was a very long tough day of 134km with 9000ft of climbing up to ski area.  The forecast was for cold (1C/34F) at the top with wind so the 3 Canadians knowing mountain weather opted not to do the ride. It proved not to be as bad as forecasted but for me it was not worth the risk.  The next day was another story because the mountain was in heavy cloud and could have been nasty.  The difficulty of the ride with the weather forecast  played a huge role in our decision but so did the fact that we are not the strongest riders here.  Some of the strongest left early and still took 10 hours to reach Omeo.   The last riders didn’t make it until after 6PM.  Even if I had taken a bump to miss the first hill it was still going to be an extremely long, tough day plus we have another 110km with 4000ft of climbing tomorrow.   I will also be altering the plans once we are back in Bright because the climbs are so tough they are not fun and they don’t have the cachet of Mt Ventoux, just say’in.   Before  I came on this trip I surmised that the 7 Peaks was a “bridge too far” and I was right.  This trip has confirmed my suspicions that I need to step down to easier less demanding tours that are more fun and less work.   Having said that I am still having fun here and riding as I like even if means deviating from the plan. 

A view of the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two of our stronger riders reaching the top at the ski resort.
Heart 1 Comment 0
After the top there was a good section of alpine meadow like this one. Not something you expect to see in Australia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waiting on a bridge for people to arrive at a snack stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the cute hotels in Omeo, we did not stay here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0