Day 14 - To Wangaratta - Australia Gold Fields, Grampians and Great Ocean Road plus The 7 Peaks - CycleBlaze

November 11, 2019

Day 14 - To Wangaratta

It was a long ride from Mansfield to Wangaratta (121km) and even longer because we added a detour of 7.4km on a gravel road to take in an amazing view and the site for one of Ned Kelly’s hideouts.  It was quiet on the roads until we reached Wangaratta as we rode through a gum tree forest.  There was 1 long climb but it never went above 7% so eminently doable.  We had amazing weather today, for a change, but there was a head wind at the end of the day that negated the slightly downhill route.

I am nursing an inflamed Achilles probably from walking too much in cycle shoes. I didn’t have any ice but I did have 2 cans of COLD beer so I improvised.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two Sisters of NO Mercy at a former convent for the Sisters of Mercy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our breakfast stop for 2 days that was very good. We even had the owner serving us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Apparently Aussie wild life can’t read because we saw nothing along the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the lookout the site of Ned Kelly’s hideout. The Man from Snowy River was filmed in the mountains in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Information on a famous bushranger aka outlaw.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the valley from the lookout
Heart 0 Comment 0
Deb screaming down the downhill. I hit 63kph at one point.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now in the King Valley another wine region of Australia. The Pinot Grigio is very good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lunch stop, the only café for miles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bushfires are serious business here as is evident in the news right now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More vineyards I the King Valley
Heart 1 Comment 0
Today is Remembrance Day in Australia and even the smallest communities remember.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Today’s profile.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonLike the downhill part of this profile. Take care of your Achilles’ tendon. That can really hurt!
Loved the Sisters Of No Mercy visiting the Sisters of Mercy Convent!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Today's ride: 121 km (75 miles)
Total: 551 km (342 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0