In Alcudia - You lead me away from home, just to save you from touring alone - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2022

In Alcudia

To Cap Formentor

Today, Scott  decided to tackle the formidable ride to Cap Formentor, one of the well known rides on Mallorca. Pat preferred to stay  closer to home and on flatter ground, trying to avoid heading to the hills of Mallorca for as long as possible. 

The ride from our hotel to the start of the road to Cap Formentor  is pretty straight forward but Scott still managed to get spun around as he missed his co navigator who is an exceptional road sign reader.  But after a couple of short detours he was on the only road to Cap Formentor along with quite a few cars and a number of cyclists. Due to the backlog of cars going so slow sometimes he even passed some of them. Riding with no pannier weight is so much easier that  he felt really strong, but this was just the first hill!

First stop is the rock in the clouds.
Heart 6 Comment 0
A look out at Col de le Crueta. I did not bother to go up and have a look. Very much doubt that there was much to see. Maybe on the way back.
Heart 6 Comment 0

At the top of the hill the clouds were rolling in and out and having an extra layer of clothing to put on for the decent  to sea level again at Formator beach was comfortable. It is a beautiful beach and was a great spot to stop for the morning coffee before heading up the next rise. 

Dropping down to Formentor beach. Looks like a nice place to stay for a while.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Coffee stop at Formentor Beach Cafe. The man is on a mission.
Heart 5 Comment 0

As he returned to the road there was a big sign that seemed to be indicating the road was closed to everyone six kilometres ahead which would mean that getting to the Cap would be impossible. He stood there for a few  minutes contemplating his next move and watching to see if any other cyclist were still riding on. There was not much traffic by cars or bikes but he decided it was worth going up to the top of the next hill to see what was happening.

A sign warning that the road is closed 6km ahead and the access to Cap Formentor will not be possible.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road is nicely shaded and fun to ride.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cala Figurera beach looks like great secluded beach that you need to walk down to. The water is so clear.
Heart 8 Comment 0
A tunnel with lights but the staircase on the left beside it is what is a amazing. No railing! I would need to crawl up it.
Heart 5 Comment 0
End of the road because the road is closed beyond this point and the cars are parking. People scrambled up the hill to see the views.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Say it isn`t so.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Scott stood at gate wondering where a girl on a bike just in front of him had gone. She did not pass him heading down. Walking up the hill there seemed to be a fairly well used path. Why not? as he picked up his bike and hustled around the barrier. Back on the road, it was a bit spooky in the fog and not a soul around but the road and the views were just too tempting. Any doubts he had about not continuing were eliminated by a German couple who were walking back to the barrier. They said it was clear sailing for the next 3km to Cap Formentor. With a big grin - Scott rode on.

A well used detour around the barrier.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heading up to Cap Formentor.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heading back from Cap Formentor. The fog layer keeps moving - changing the views dramatically.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A great road with no cars. If you zoom in you will see a trio of cyclists heading up. There were very few cyclists on this part of the road either.
Heart 6 Comment 0
All smiles.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Views of the rugged coastline.
Heart 7 Comment 0
The trees look like they grow out of the rocks and the edges of the road are filled with fragrant rosemary
Heart 4 Comment 0
The lighthouse at Cap Formentor
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heavy duty road construction at Cap Formentor. Looks like a big project.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After reaching the Cap, Scott took a couple of pictures of a group on ebikes who were just leaving. Feeling a bit like he probably should not be there in a construction site and all alone, he turned and began the climb back up and then down to Formentor beach. After eating an orange he finished the last climb back to Col de la Crueta. The last 3km were all downhill to Port Pollença, reaching speeds of close to 55 Kms on his little wheels!

A very memorable ride back toward Formentor Beach.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Back at Port Pollença
Heart 3 Comment 0
The bay it looks like a good place to learn to kite surf. This group were taking lessons.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Pat had gone for her own solo ride and checked out the old section of Alcudia.  We met up and had a beer and our pasta snack poolside in the sun. We had a simple dinner in our suite and spent the time arranging a short tour and hotel bookings for the final four days on Mallorca.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 872 km (542 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonHey, we just read about this ride! The Mathers were there the day before. You’re making a believer out of me. We’ll have to make it down ourselves.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonI second that! But I’m not going to race down.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago