In Alcudia - You lead me away from home, just to save you from touring alone - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2022

In Alcudia

To: Sa Pobla, Búger, Campanet, and Muro

Last night we were sitting around the kitchen table drawing up  a route plan for a ride  when an email from David and Anne Mathers (whose wonderful journals can also be found on Cycleblaze) arrived to our inbox inviting us to join them for coffee in a nearby town. While we have been in Alcudia the Mathers have been staying about 8 kms away in Port de Pollença. It seemed like a perfect opportunity to meet some fellow Cycleblazers.

Plan A was put on the shelf (for now) and a Plan B was put into development. We replied to them that we would love to meet  at the Forn Can Rafel in Búger at 11:00. 

We were out the door at 09:30 to pick up our bikes from the storage area and quickly on our way. Búger is a small town less than 20 kms from our hotel in Alcudia.  Our route passed through Sa Pobla, a larger somewhat ordinary town  serving the surrounding tourist and agricultural industries. Arriving at the hilltop village of Búger  a bit before 11:00, we had a chance to look around. It is a quiet small town with character offering a church, main square and a number of small cafes along the main street. A real bonus was the few multilingual information boards that were posted describing the town`s historical importance. Always helpful for us to have information provided in English!

The remains of an old windmill from the bygone agricultural days.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Our next stop is the village of Campanet up on the distant hill.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Up in Búger, looking down onto the surrounding farm land below.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The town`s fountain and looking up the main street in Búger.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Main street in Búger.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Waiting for a date.
Heart 5 Comment 0

The Form Con Rafel is just down from the church. It`s primary business seems to be providing baked goods but they also have a number of tables out by the street to enjoy a coffee or drink and a treat from the shop. We were just sitting down and the Mathers arrived on their rented light weight  bikes; although they also brought their Bike Fridays for touring later in their trip. As a result, there were no group ride phots but we had a great time spending almost two hours talking about our experiences and the places that we have loved to visit. Some places we had in common and others we tucked away for future tour planning. We laughed a lot  and could have stayed until happy hour and beyond. But we both had a few more stops to make in the day and we said good bye with our new fast friends.

Cycleblazers, the Fenwicks and Mathers get together in Buger, Mallorca.
Heart 10 Comment 2
David MathersGreat to hang out with you and cross paths again yesterday…what were the odds! Enjoy Sa Calobra…you can do it 👍
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonGreat photo! I’m glad to see more cycle blaze reunions. I’d say I wish I were there but it’s too hot for me now but we do want to go in the late fall or winter sometime!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Upon leaving Búger, our next stop was down the hill and up the next to Campanet. Campanet is bigger in size than Búger and it also has a large church and a main square with a number of restaurants where we had our lunch.

Town square and church in Campanet.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The final stop was Muro. We rode through town but did not find any reason to stop, we likely missed something, but it was very warm and we wanted to get back closer to the ocean where it is cooler.

The road back toward Búger.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The cabbage patch appears ready for harvest.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We spotted an unassuming restaurant on our walk the other evening just around the corner from our hotel - the Restaurant Bar Hawaii. The name encouraged us to do a bit more research and the internet reviews were very favourable, so we gave it a shot. We decided on the seafood paella. We were pleased the the dish must have taken over 30 minutes to prepare so it was not likely to be a simple reheated dish. We were right, the paella was prepared completely from scratch and was fantastic. We went home very full and with a container of rice that we can store in our fridge to create part of a meal for later. 

One of our servers this evening.
Heart 5 Comment 0
As with all good paella, it is a beautifully presented dish.
Heart 7 Comment 1
David MathersLooks like a good one!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Getting ready.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Getting set.
Heart 4 Comment 0
GO!!
Heart 5 Comment 0

Tomorrow we will dust off plan A and visit some more areas near to Alcudia.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 922 km (573 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0