To Saluzza: passing across the Po plain - I suppose I could collect my bags and go back on tour - CycleBlaze

October 1, 2022

To Saluzza: passing across the Po plain

The weather has done a complete about face from yesterday. There is a freshness in the air and the sun is back!  Our clothes are dry and packed away in their panniers. We traveled across the broad Po River plane toward the foothills of the Alps and the town of Saluzzo today. 

We started the day with a nice breakfast prepared by our host and were slow to leave the B&B Ai Tre Cavalli. Seeing that our bikes had been removed from the garage where they were stored for the night, we knew it was time to leave our comfortable stay. We began by taking the opportunity to have a better look at Cherasco in the sunshine before we left town. It is a really pretty town and has significant history.

Our Italian hosts, Mariangela and her husband and their Australian Shepard with his Spanish name - Pedro.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Walls into Cherasco.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Meat shop where we sampled the local sausage. Very busy on Saturday morning as customers wait outside for their turn to enter.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking through the window. This lady was wonderful helping us try the sausage.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Beautiful covered walkways.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The sun is shining as the day warms up and Saturday morning coffee is being enjoyed outside.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Arco di Belvedere built in the mid 1600`s.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The detail and scale are amazing.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Santuario Madonna del Popolo in Cherasco.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Santuario Madonna del Popolo front side.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We left Cherasco from the north side of town and went down a serpentine road to cross the flat valley of Stura of Demonte River before climbing the steep embankment on the far side. This hill started to warm us up! The roads in this area were all busy with the only relief being in the small towns of Marcene and Savigliano where the highway went around them, and we rode through them. The roads were flat and straight, and we could not find any substitute routings for most of the ride to Saluzzo. It was not much fun until we were able to get off SP 662 about 10 kms from our destination.

Looking toward the west you can see fresh snow on the Alps.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our road across the Po River valley and the Alps in the background. We are getting good at riding on a six inch paint line!
Heart 4 Comment 1
Kathleen ClassenWe are grateful for the shoulders in Spain, and the quiet roads, but sometimes we need to ride that six inch paint line too.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
So nice to see the mountains again.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Turning off the highway SP662 it is clear that we are now in a fruit producing region.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We are amazed at so many apples on such tiny trees.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Gianet`s Pub - our coffee stop in Lagnasco. We looked around town and had a picnic lunch too.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lots of kiwi vines growing in the area.
Heart 5 Comment 0

The last ten kilometres into Saluzzo salvaged the ride today. It was on calm, traffic free roads and we had an opportunity to slow down and look around.

Saluzzo is a large town with a wide pedestrian car fee zone. When we arrived, the town maintenance crew were busy cleaning up from the morning market. We found our hotel up the hill above the main street easily. Later that evening we wandered around the town and tried our luck at finding a restaurant without a reservation on a Saturday night. It was still early, about 7 pm, when we were accepted into a restaurant and led to a large empty back room with many tables. Every table had a reserve card with a name on it. We stood by as the staff went from table to table and tried to locate a spot for us. Eventually another lady entered the discussion and she grabbed the card off a table for two and asked us to sit down. By the time we had finished our meals we found that we were in a full and very boisterous family style restaurant. We skipped the desert and had ice cream on our walk home.

And this is just half of the room!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Outside as we wandered around the town, it was lovely and warm and very quiet.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Church in Saluzzo.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Tomorrow we head south to the Cuneo. We will be there a couple of days in plan, do some laundry and take a cycling break.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 734 km (456 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0