The Grand Plan - I suppose I could collect my bags and go back on tour - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2022

The Grand Plan

When September comes on the west coast you can be torn between enjoying the lovely early fall weather at home or heading off on another cycling trip. We remind ourselves that the weather in Europe is also changing and the rainy weeks may not be far behind. I am sure that Europe is looking forward and even hoping for them now. The tug of war does not last too long as we have enjoyed a very nice summer at home and you can never be certain how many of these incredibly rewarding adventures remain for us. As everyone one will say, enjoy them while you still can. The Cycleblaze community is also extremely motivating. So many people are out on the road right now, we had better get a move on!

With that said, September is a wonderful month for travelling for all the reasons often enumerated on these blogs, so there is no reason to list them again. But the days are getting shorter and in the more northerly areas the temperatures are getting cooler. With this in mind our tour will begin in Geneva where we will head along Lake Geneva and follow the Rhone toward its origins. Pat is a bit annoyed as Scott has once again planned to follow a river upstream rather than coasting with it heading downhill! Nevertheless, our plan is to stop well short of the Rhone headwaters and take the BLS Autoverlad Simplon – a train running through the Alps between Switzerland and Italy.

Once in Italy, we will cycle in the Italian lake region around Como for a week or so and then begin riding through the Piedmont Region. From here we have an option to continue our ride south to the Mediterranean or cross over into France via a southern Alps route; a stretch of good weather and improved conditioning might make this option available. After that we will begin to find our way back to Geneva for a flight back home.

There it is in a nutshell. Thanks to the others who have blogged about riding in these regions as they have assisted in providing a better understanding – basically convinced us not to ride over the Swiss alps as our cycling legs would certainly not be ready for that shock yet! As well, previous blogs have shown that the lake area in Northern Italy and Switzerland is a very nice place to visit. We are looking forward to this next cycling adventure!  Danke,  grazie and merci for following along.

The route plan for Switzerland and Italy looks something like this. France is still to be determined.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 11
Brad SharpWoo hoo ! Let's go !
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Pat FenwickTo Brad SharpOkay! Thanks, Brad. Hope you enjoy the ride, too!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersLove the journal title (again) and the original artwork 🖼 Who’s the artist 👩‍🎨? Looking forward to following along.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenHooray! Another blog to follow. Looking forward to it. Wishing you smooth flights and bikes arriving at the same time as you.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott FenwickTo David MathersNot sure of the artist Will need to check. We picked the print up in Lisbon last year. It now hangs in our bedroom, Thanks for following.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott FenwickTo Kathleen ClassenSmooth so far. In YUL now. Your weather is looking more challenging that our experience. We were so lucky on the coast late in the year. Everyone said that we should have been in the rainy season. But the coast of Portugal is absolutely stunning. Hoping for a drying trend for you and Keith and us too! Riding in rain makes touring a bit harder.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ROSY ColistroLooking forward to hearing about your travels and seeing all your amazing photos. Always impressed with your stamina!!! Have fun; wishing you sunny skies ahead.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierOoh, this looks like an interesting route! I’ll be following along with interest!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonSounds like a great tour!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenLooking forward to following along. We have done a portion of your proposed route. The section from Lake Geneva to Brig is great. From Brig we carried on along the valley and then up Furka Pass and the following day St Gothhard Pass both which were fantastic.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Barry DevlinI get tired just thinking about driving this ambitious route. Have fun!. Barry
Reply to this comment
1 year ago