To Como: Italy to Switzerland and back to Italy - I suppose I could collect my bags and go back on tour - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2022

To Como: Italy to Switzerland and back to Italy

Our stay in Cannobio  at the Casa Arzzoli was great but we needed to add an extra blanket on the bed as the nights are getting cooler and room heating was a bit spotty. I suspect that most of Europe will be adding an extra blanket this winter. Breakfast was as special as promised and we both enjoyed freshly scrambled eggs for a nice change. There was also a fabulous assortment of meats and cheeses too. Everything was top drawer.

The overcast day was such a contrast from yesterday. The weather is changing and a couple of days of rain is in our future after today. We are happy with the dry day today and being able to complete the planned ride to Como.

When we told the hotel manager of our plans to ride to Como he provided a response that we hear frequently concerning cycling on the narrow roads. The locals must see the issue regularly as they drive the shorefront roads. But his concern was likely about the 20km stretch between Cannobio and Locarno. We will be avoiding this section of road by again taking a ferry back across Lago Maggiore and beginning our ride in Luino. The ferry leaves at 10:05.

At the ferry terminal Pat has gone to purchase the two senior rate tickets and bike passage. She comes back and tells me she got ¨carded¨. What`s that I ask. She had to prove with ID that she was in fact eligible for the senior rate. Nice!!

Road repair. Those little rocks are hard to ride on with smaller wheels but the ganite slabs are sure nice.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cannobio ferry terminal is on the left.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Fridays get a nice view, too.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Cannobio on an overcast day
Heart 3 Comment 0

Arriving in Luino Pat went to use the facilities while I watched the bikes. After a few minutes I hear Pat frantically calling my name through an open but barred window. I look around to find her and she tells me that she is locked in a stall with no inside door handle. Leaving the bikes, I locate the stall and the rescue operation was completed!

The ride today started with a 4 km uphill segment with grades between 8 - 10 degrees. It was a nice way to begin the morning. All warmed up we went down the backside of the hill passing through a customs booth leaving Italy and just down the road passing another booth entering into Switzerland. Neither of these locations are now controlled.

No handle on the washroom door! And no room to crawl under!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI had a similar issue but The door wouldn’t open for him either so he had to use his knife to carve around the lock to free me! I’m glad you got out!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Leaving Italy for now but we will be back later today.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Herron in flight. This one did not wait for his picture to be taken.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along the Fiume Tresa but this time heading to Lago Lugano
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cyclepath along Lago di Lugano right beside another border crossing between Italy and Switzerland. The border weaves back and forth in this area. But we stay left and remain in Switzerland. This road is busy so the cyclepath is most appreciated.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Church and fine building in Caslano. We are just following quiet random cycle routes along the shore at this point.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back across the lake at the town of Caslano.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This east side of Lago di Lugano riding toward Morcote was a very nice stretch of road. Few cars and great scenery.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Open quiet roads.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another great lunch spot beside a marina near Marcote. This spot even came with washrooms that are always a bonus.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Today`s lunch mooch quickly got the message that there would be no free lunch. Beautiful big bird though.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After lunch we rode through Marcote with its amazing lake front properties. Quite the sight! Leaving Marcote we made our way to the Pont diga di Malide crossing of Lago Lugano.  It is both a dam and a bridge for the high speed A2 freeway linking the north with the south- 77K cars use this bridge every day.  Such a drastic change from the quiet roads that we have been on. The bridge has a great cyclepath but the area just on the other side of the bridge around Bissone is very busy with cars.

We were happy to leave this busy stretch of road as soon as we were able at the small town of Riva San Vitale and rejoin a bike route. From here we travelled on a mix of bike paths and roads until we reached the border crossing into Como where we again had to fight our way with the traffic into the very popular town.

Swiss rental E bike stations are quite common. Love the smaller wheels. They are a nice size to handle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our road for a short distance was under repair but the workers just waved us through.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A nice ride through the hills and rows of grapes.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Switzerland and back into Italy. Riding here was not great but the long downhill into Como was fun.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Reaching Como we stopped for our routine post ride beer at a waterfront cafe. Beer here is twice what we paid in Cannobio. We then checked out the train station. Based on the weather forecasts it is likely that we will take a train to Varese in the morning. We had a simple pizza dinner near our hotel and set off to explore Como. It is much different than the small towns we have been visiting with busy bars and a significant shopping district. Today's ride was great but the larger tourist towns, well they just do not have the same character.

Como is busy on this Friday afternoon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Santa Maria Assunta in Como.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beautiful arches beside the cathedral in Como. As Como is sinking, they were filled in at one point to make the area level and later excavated to show the base detail.
Heart 3 Comment 0
More detail of the church.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hands sculpture on the way to the train station.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 425 km (264 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraGlad I found more CycleBlazers to follow from the West Coast. Not sure how I missed this journal. Really enjoying reading along, even though your trip is done. Bringing back memories of Susanna and my adventures through the same area.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago