To Puella by bike and  boat - A Patagonia Adventure - CycleBlaze

January 23, 2019

To Puella by bike and  boat

It was a brilliant blue sky day. After breakfast, I took a walk to check out the ski area and take in the vistas. The Osorno Volcano rose behind me and Lago Llanquihue spread out below, with clear views to Frutillar on the opposite shore.  The day began with an 12 km ride down the volcano road.  I was a bit hesitant due to my fear of heights, but I took the steep switchbacks slowly and then relaxed enough to enjoy the winding curves to the bottom - all despite the plaintive cries from the disc brakes. At the bottom, we left the Circuito Lago Llanquihue (which also serves as an volcano evacuation route) and headed toward Lago Todos Los Santos. 

Ready for a hike up to the top? Not!
Heart 3 Comment 0
View across Lagos LLlanquihue
Heart 2 Comment 0
Circuito Lago Llanquihue - showing route from Frutillar to Osorno Volcano and road to Lago Todos Los Santos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Glad to know we were on the volcano evacuation route
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road was fairly flat and we soon arrived at the lake, where we boarded a catamaran for a 2 hr boat ride across the lake to Puella, a town of 120 inhabitants near the Argentina border. As we journeyed across the sparkling blue Lago Todos Los Santos, we said farewell to the Osorno volcano and welcomed into view Cerro Puntiagudo volcano, named for its sharp point. Most of the surrounding lakeside was tree-lined and undeveloped, with only the occasional house or farmstead spotted along the shore. The most plentiful “wildlife” were large Chilean biting horseflies, which to everyone’s annoyance accompanied us across the lake. After docking, a short ride on gravel took us to a fairly posh lodge located amidst an idyllic mix of mountains, woods and meadows. It was a short, very relaxing day with just enough cycling to get me back in the groove and relish what was to come.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Cerro Puntiagudo from the gravel road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farewell to Orsono Volcano
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cerro Puntiagudo viewed from Lago Todos Los Santos
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nearing Puella
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lodging for the night
Heart 0 Comment 0

Long days, resulting from boat transfers and late dinners, have combined with weak/non-existent internet connections to make daily updates to journal a bit difficult.  I'll keep posting when I'm able.  Thanks, Susan

Today's ride: 18 miles (29 km)
Total: 101 miles (163 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0