Day 6: Easley Hot Springs to Stanley - Racpat A Week on the Idaho Hot Springs Loop 2022 - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2022

Day 6: Easley Hot Springs to Stanley

Another Pass that we Pass on riding

"You want to get over Galena?" the woman in a Tacoma Truck who turned around as we were waiting at the turn into Galena Lodge with a thumb out. "I do a lot of biking in the area, and I don't ride over Galena Pass anymore," she continues. 

We have arrived at Galena Lodge only to discover it is still closed. Susan had told us that they open with pastries and coffee, and later serve Lunch. The road is narrowing with no shoulder. Rachel now feels because she is slower at climbing that this is really unsafe. Especially with the traffic.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Theresa gives us a ride over the pass
Heart 0 Comment 0

We welcome the ride. Theresa is married to a Swede. They spend 6 months of a year here and 6 months in Switzerland. Her husband is still in Switzerland trying to sort out the visa. 

She takes us up and over the pass.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We ride on to Smiley Creek and stop at the cafe/store for a second breakfast. When leaving a man talks with Patrick, he is Craig from Boise who contacted us a year so ago about cycling in Tanzania.

We arrive in Stanley at 1:30pm. Check in to the Mountain Village Resort does not start until 3pm. We have an ice cream at the store and are able to sign up for a spot in the Hot Springs at 7pm. We wait until about 2:30 and Patrick checks in with how much longer. We are finally given a room of the first floor, perfect to just roll our bikes into the room.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We eat supper next door with a very fine hamburger. The hot springs is about a 5 minute walk to a shed that has an open door with an awesome view of the Mountains. We didn't take our camera this time, but in 2007 on our ride from Alaska to Boise after riding through Asia, we stopped here. Back then, we fixed our supper in the parking lot. But we thoroughly enjoyed the Hot Springs in October with a snowstorm moving through the valley.

Pictures from our last stretch to home from Stanley Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 172 miles (277 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0