Day 18: To Wallowa Lake State Park - To Hell's Canyon and Back 2006 - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2006

Day 18: To Wallowa Lake State Park

I slept late, still recovering from yesterday's big climbs. It was almost 10 AM by the time I got on the road after filtering water and re-patching the front tire (my previous patch had a slow leak). It was sunny and finally the humidity was low.

The ride starts with a couple easy miles downstream along the Imnaha river. Then a 1950 foot climb to a summit at 5750 feet elevation. Then down 500 feet and up 700 feet to nearly 6000 feet elevation. It's hard work to skirt the east flank of the Wallowa mountains. The road went through several large burn areas. The last few years have had some huge forest fires in the Wallowa mountains.

Huge burn areas in the Wallowa mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of flowers on the roadside.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Finally I had a long descent along Little Sheep creek, starting to go on the north side of the mountains.

Wallowa Mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Forest Road 39 on the east side of the Wallowa mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then I turned left on highway 350 with 8 miles to go until Joseph. That starts with an unexpected hill, then stays in a wide valley full of irrigated farms.

Irrigated wheat field east of the town of Joseph.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farm just north of the Wallowa mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0

In Joseph I stopped for groceries and called my wife. Then I pedaled south 7 easy miles to Wallowa Lake State Park (4390 feet elevation).

Downtown Joseph has several bronze foundries and galleries.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYes, I enjoyed the brass sculptures in the town of Joseph - very artistic town!
Reply to this comment
3 days ago
View from the county park at the north end of Wallowa Lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Wallowa Lake is a natural lake created by a big glacial moraine.

There are several floating picnic platforms on Wallowa Lake.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting - the "picnic platforms" on the Wallowa Lake - - haven't seen something like that before. I assume you would partake if you come by in a boat?
Reply to this comment
3 days ago
Wayne EstesTo Charmaine RuppoltI don't think the platforms are free to anybody with a boat who shows up. I suspect you have to rent them by the hour at the marina.
Reply to this comment
3 days ago

The huge main campground at the state park was full but I got a $4 hiker/biker site for the next two nights. The area has many tourist attractions. It's the most crowded tourist place I've seen so far on this tour. Even more tourists than Crater Lake.

Today had great weather. Sunny, low humidity, low wind, and a high of 80F. Roadside wildflowers were great in the high meadows around 4000-5000 feet elevation.

Distance: 46.2 mi. (73.9 km)

Climbing: 3310 ft. (1003 m)

Average Speed: 7.3 mph (11.7 km/h)

Maximum Speed: 40.0 mph (64 km/h)

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 782 miles (1,259 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0