Day 1: To Susan Creek campground - To Hell's Canyon and Back 2006 - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2006

Day 1: To Susan Creek campground

We started the day with a big pancake breakfast. Sunny and cool when we got on the road shortly after 9AM. Our first stop was at Rochester covered bridge 4 miles from home. Kelly and Jacinto had never seen a covered bridge before.

Kelly and Jacinto at Rochester Covered Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

10 miles south of my house we turned onto North Bank road which goes 17 miles upstream along the North Umpqua river. It follows the river but has very big hills.

Valley view along North Bank road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hay bales wrapped in plastic to keep the hay moist for cows.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI always wondered why they wrap hay bales - - never knew it was to keep the hay moist for the cows!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Our first good view of the North Umpqua river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kelly and Jacinto are faintly visible ahead on North Bank road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
North Umpqua river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Coming into the town of Glide we took a short stop to see the colliding rivers. Then we stopped for a late lunch at a place called Munchies. I ate a 10 ounce hamburger and a blackberry milkshake. I love the bike tourist diet...

Colliding rivers. North Umpqua River comes in from the top. Little River comes in from the bottom.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOh yea, when bike touring, you can eat just about anything, and burn it off when riding! :) When I biked the Southern Tier, I'd get on my bike with a full stomach after a meal, and you could feel the "food gauge" slowly get depleted when riding. :)
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

A few miles past the town of Glide the river valley gets much narrower and steeper as we enter the low Cascades. The predominant tree changes from Oak to Douglas Fir. We're in the mountains now.

Entering the low Cascades, where the predominant tree is Douglas Fir.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's destination is the Susan Creek BLM campground 12 miles east of Glide. It's the only campground in the area with showers and we got the last campsite with a view of the river. The elevation is only 900 feet but it definitely looks like we are in mountains.

We weren't hungry after our huge late lunch so we just snacked for dinner. Later Jacinto and I hiked 1.5 miles each way to see Susan Creek falls. It was late when we got there but it didn't get dark until 9:30PM. I love the long days near the summer solstice.

Susan Creek Falls drops 50 feet.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltBeautiful picture of the Susan Creek Falls!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

Today was sunny with light winds and a high temperature of 72F. Perfect bike touring weather. There is a warming trend for the next several days.

Distance: 44.7 miles (71.5 km)

Climbing: 1968 ft. (596 m)

Average Speed: 8.3 mph (13.3 km/h)

Maximum Speed: 37.9 mph (60.6 km/h)

Hiking 3 mi. (4.8 km)

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 45 miles (72 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0