Kalymnos - The Long Journey East - CycleBlaze

October 23, 2022 to December 29, 2022

Kalymnos

I spent almost a week in Kalymnos and would have loved to stay longer. It was a welcome change staying put in one place to explore it more deeply. Mostly I cherish the stronger relationships I have formed with the people I've met in the last week.   

Stayed in Masouri, the main climbing town, there was a beautiful community of climbers who travel here to work hard towards their climbing projects and to socialise in this haven. 

Was very keen to do some climbing here but the courses were very expensive and well out of my budget. Luckily it was very easy to find a climbing partner and within minutes I found Oliwia who was heading out with nick and Àine rhe next day. I could rent a harness and shoes and then enjoy one of the best spots in the world for climbing.  

The first day I just climbed on toprope but after feeling more confident I worked up towards some very fun and more scary lead climbs up to 6a+. After not having really used my upper body in 6+ months I wasn't feeling so strong but was good going on with no expectations and just having fun. After a hot day Climbing each day, I couldn't wait to jump in the sea. 

After finishing dinner with nick and Àine, I joined in with a group sat behind us meeting Mark, Lawrence, Anna, Katelyn and Emma. Playing the guess the age game for everyone, Lawrence was unstoppable and got everyone spot on. We quickly got to know each other and the night progressed as we headed to watch some live music on the street with lots of dancing and new faces, including Marious, joining to the crew of Norwegians. 

Most of the time there I slept in this abandoned building just outside of Masouri. Even though there was broken glass and goat droppings everywhere I considered it home and barely noticed with the tent pitched anyway. I later met John from America who I contacted though the Facebook group to climb with. He also had space in his apartment so I had an actual place to stay for 3 more nights! John was a yoga instructor and ran a few sessions on the beach and on the terrace. 

One day I took a day off climbing to cycle around the island and to explore some very impressive caves deep underground with my bike light strapped to my helmet.  

Emma and my final night were celebrated with a live concert on the street. It was a mix of my favorite dad music from the doors and Pink Floyd to Metallica. This somewhat degenerated (or escalated?) Into a 90s dance party at Katelyn's apartment until some not too happy neighbors intervened at cotton eyed Joe. And whilst I was carrying on the adventure, Emma unfortunately had to return to Norway to work without sun until January. 

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Anna, Marius, (me), Katelyn and Matt
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oliwia and Áine
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Grande Grotta
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
John
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Peek-a-boo
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 100 km (62 miles)
Total: 5,155 km (3,201 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0