Sculptor Garden - Ohio Odyssey - CycleBlaze

September 25, 2023

Sculptor Garden

Where old Bicycle Route Signs Go To Retire

Leaving Meadville we stopped to look at the Highway Sign Sculpture Garden.  Art students from Allegheny College cooperated with employees of the highway department in 2003 to beautify the chain-link fence surrounding the highway department facility. 

I wonder what happened to Bicycle Route G?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Creative minds…
Heart 0 Comment 0
Meadville used to host hot air balloon festivals.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Most deer we see along the road are dead.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This part is the actual Sculpture Garden. Still looks great more than two decades later.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The sculptures extend quite a distance along the fence. While portions are well maintained weeds block other parts. As little as 15 minutes more grass trimming would be sufficient to display this creative project as it deserves. 

Bicycle Route A continued to be a safe if not a very exciting route. Hills are not too steep, one of us started calling the hills “ridgettes”. 

Had to stop for a picture beside the big bull.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were limited motel accommodations along our route in Mercer. We chose one we think we used 10 years ago and had the better reviews. Upon arrival there were mattresses stacked outside and partial repairs from a fire.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The owner told me there had been a fire three months previous. She believes a patron in this non-smoking hotel fell asleep while smoking. The guy claimed that the fire was caused by electrical problems, but the insurance company determined that it was careless smoking.  The motel may have to wait for more than a year for their insurance coverage to take full affect and in the meantime, they’re missing a lot of business.  It looks like the kind of place that is barely hanging on anyway it would be a shame if it goes out of business.  

Meadville to Mercer
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 564 miles (908 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0