Just missed Bald Eagle fight - Ohio Odyssey - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2023

Just missed Bald Eagle fight

Mercer to The Lodge at Waters Edge

Our stay in Mercer, yesterday was in a struggling hotel, recently damaged by fire.  This morning we continued on Bicycle Route “A” which basically stayed on US Route 19 due south from Mercer. Interestingly, Google maps gave us three different bicycle friendly routes, none of which included the route recommended by the state of Pennsylvania. We stayed on bicycle route “A” and were generally pleased with it. While it was not very scenic and involve some hills the climbs were not too steep and there was a sufficient shoulder to the road. There was an inordinate amount of local truck traffic but large trucks tend to veer across the rumble strips in the center of the road so we knew they were giving us sufficient space. We were looking forward to an Air B&B tay at The Lodge at Waters edge. The hostess, Gwen, had actually not intended to advertise this new Airb&b space yet, but opened it for us somewhat as a trial run for a larger event later in the week. Boy, did we luck out. The Lodge is about 2 miles from Bicycle Route “A” or route 19 and includes some short climbs and a long steep downhill to Slippery Rock Creek. But, we will deal with climbing out tomorrow. Gwen promised to put our tandems in her truck and take us back to Bicycle Route A tomorrow morning and we are not such purists to turn down her offer.

Gwen and her friends were fascinated by our tandems  and perhaps the four senior aged cyclists upon our arrival but after taking some pictures directed us to a creek side patio where we had our lunch.

Patio overlooking Slippery Rock Creek
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lodge great room
Heart 0 Comment 0
Living room view
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gwen and her boyfriend with the senior cyclists
Heart 0 Comment 0

 Gwen gathered a grocery order as she was heading to town and offered to pick up our food. Actually, that’s not correct, we had to talk her out of giving us all of her own food that she had already supplied in the house. Gwen is tremendously, enthusiastic and justifiably proud of the work they have put into developing the lodge.

  Gwen told us that just before we arrived she watched a pair of bald eagles, fighting over fish in the creek. While we ate our lunch, we watched a flock of ducks hunting as a group for some fish with some success. I’ve been unable to identify the species, but Gwen thinks she can find out for me.

Species of duck to be identified later. I know the look like dots on the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the Lodge bathrooms
Heart 0 Comment 0
I’m sitting above the water drinking one of Gwen’s beers now, hoping the Bald Eagles return
Heart 0 Comment 0

I know that in addition to this being an extraordinary place for a touring cyclist to stay, Rhona and I will be coming back again.

Mercer to Portersville
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 594 miles (956 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0