Not our best day - Ohio Odyssey - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2023

Not our best day

West End Bypass

We started the morning with a lift up out of the Slippery Rock Creek canyon in the back of our hostess’ pickup. 

It was a little cold but it saved us more than an hour of pushing and lowest gear climbing.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From that point we continued mostly downgrade on Bicycle Route “A” through Ellwood City. The ride along the Beaver River was unremarkable until we got to Monaca. Higher speed traffic was present on the four lane road. While riding on the shoulder Allen & Margaret spun up a wire that derailed their timing chain. Coming into Pittsburgh along the Ohio River a highway sign warned us to avoid crossing the McKees Rocks Bridge which was our planned route.  Not knowing the reason for the warning we changed the planned route and continued along the western side of the Ohio River. Although Google maps indicated we were riding bicycle friendly roads the traffic volume was unrelenting and fast. We were shunted onto the West End bypass, absolutely the worst place for a bicycle and it was rush our traffic. Google maps on my phone struggled to locate us accurately, rapidly looping continuous incorrect commands. Yep, it was just as much fun as it sounds. After pushing the tandems against traffic we finally found a bike trail into Station Square and rode up to the Smithfield Bridge to cross the river to our hotel downtown. A final insult, half the Smithfield  Bridge was closed for construction and we has to walk our bikes across the bridge.   Even half a block from our hotel my phone’s Google map was still directing me to left instead of right to the hotel. As you can imagine we were all in a good mood when we arrived. If the green line on Google Maps indicates roads suitable for bicycles I can’t imagine was an unsuitable road would be like. 

Views from the bridges were scenic but we usually didn’t want to stop for photographs.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Fortunately our night ended with dinner at an Italian restaurant in Station Square with my Mother, siblings and spouses. A great time was had by all.

Allen took a great shot of the Pittsburgh skyline from Station Square
Heart 1 Comment 0


 Tomorrow we head out of Pittsburgh on the Great Allegany Passage (GAP).  We won’t have to worry about traffic or getting lost. 

Portersville to Aliquippa
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ambridge to Pittsburgh
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 651 miles (1,048 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich FrasierUgh! Sounds like a day to forget. Hopefully tomorrow will be brighter!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
David FritschHonestly, it was much worse than I described. Certainly my worst bicycle routing decisions ever.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago