Ohio & Erie Canal: Doesn’t get much better than this - Ohio Odyssey - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2023

Ohio & Erie Canal: Doesn’t get much better than this

Massillon to Akron

After a short downhill we were on the Ohio & Erie Canal trail for much of the day. Trail surfaces varied between asphalt and fine gravel very pleasant to ride on. Views varied throughout the day and we saw some wildlife.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Possibly the biggest heron we’ve ever seen. It ignored us and a freight train barreling down on the other side of the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Canal Fulton had a replica canal boat which floats and may still carry tourist passengers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is really only one lockhouse on the canal remaining, and it was actually re-created by the WPA during the depression.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Outside of Akron, we encountered this statue of a native American portaging, a birchbark canoe. Reportedly, they carried the canoes for a distance of 8 miles. I hate to think of battling the mosquitoes the entire way.
Heart 1 Comment 0

For those interested in our bicycle equipment, we are riding a Co-Motion Speedster model tandem with a Rohloff 14 speed internal gear hub and carbon fiber, timing and drive belts.  We have the largest Arkel (I thought 45 liters) panniers that does not seem to be displayed now on their site. 

We should probably have also brought front panniers to lessen the load in the rear.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Mike AylingWe have a ROhloff on our Thorn tandem but as a 2012 model it is chain driven. That timing chain is heavy!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
David FritschHi Mike, I’m sure you like the dependability of the Rohloff. We just returned from a tour in Germany. Nobody we talked to was aware of the Rohloff or that the inventor had recently died. I’m currently researching changing to a Gebla shifter. Haven’t told the stoker yet.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Margaret and Allen also have a Speedster, still with a pristine custom paint color in spite of two cross USA tours as well as several foreign tours.

Note the snazzy rear fender which seemed to work keeping mud off the stoker’s back.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our AirB&B was in a residential area with few grocery or restaurant options. Two were closed so we ended up eating at a Mexican food truck in the parking lot of a closed Mexican restaurant. The food turned out to be good and now we had enough left over for breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Massillon to Akron
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 331 miles (533 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0