Cuyahoga National Park - Ohio Odyssey - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2023

Cuyahoga National Park

Cry of the Blue Heron

We started the day with a downhill from our B&B to the entrance of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. 

Mustill’s store enjoyed a prime location at a lock near the center of Akron. Location is important.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Trail artwork near the store.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Cuyahoga Valley scenic train passed us as we were cycling along an open area. I encouraged Rhona to video, she always complains when I prompt her to video while she rides the back of the tandem but later says “I should know to just follow your suggestions, your always right”. At least I think she would say something like that if she remembered to.

We saw a blue heron perch on a tree in a marsh area, created by some beavers. We took a picture, you’ll have to trust me that it’s really a great blue heron. We got to hear it calling, it sounded like something from jurassic Park movie.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our plan had been to leave the Ohio to Erie Trail about 32 miles short of Cleveland and head north east in the direction of Ashtabula Ohio. Consequently, we left the trail at the town of Peninsula and are now riding on roads. Unfortunately, today’s route was described as “heavy and moderate hills”in Google maps and that proved to be an accurate description. Fortunately drivers were tolerant and for some of the time we had either a bicycle lane, bicycle path, or at least an adequate wide shoulder. Late in the day, some of us were looking forward to finding a bathroom so we were pushing hard to get to the Punderson Manor Lodge State   it was a cruel joke that the final mile and a half was on a road that had just been milled in preparation for paving, as the road vibrations were very difficult on full bladders. 

Solace was sought as we treated ourselves to Chocolate Lava cake at our dinner seats overlooking the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not entirely sure why there would be a suit of armor in and a Ohio State Park, but Rhona seem to make friends with it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Akron to Penninsula
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peninsula to Hudson
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hudson to Punderson Manor Lodge State Park
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 381 miles (613 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0