Day six Foster to Yarram - Pakenham to Bairnsdale Victoria Australia - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2017

Day six Foster to Yarram

Day six leaving Foster and cycling along the Great Southern Rail Trail where we would pass through Toora, Welshpool and Yarram where we would stop for the night at the Yarram Holiday Park.

joining the Great Southern Rail Trail at Foster
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
cycling along Great Southern Rail Trail towards Toora
Heart 1 Comment 0

Mid morning we stopped for a rest and some fruit and water in the Sagasser Park next to the rail trail, opposite The Royal Standard Hotel, Toora.

The Royal Standard Hotel, Toora
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back on the rail trail again we cycled along the straight sandy track until we had crossed the Agnes River which flows over the famous Agnes Falls, between Toora and Welshpool.

Reaching the end of the rail trail we turned left along Port Welshpool Road  and left at the Main Street where we stopped for morning tea in  the Licensed Supermarket & Cafe, Welshpool. Here we bought tea for two, chocolate-dipped Viennese finger biscuits and beautifully home made chicken sandwiches to eat for lunch later on, we took to the road to continue our journey to Yarram. 

Post Office then cafe in Main Street, Welshpool
Heart 0 Comment 0

Cycling along we decided to stop on the side of the road and eat
our sandwiches for lunch. Standing next to our bike we did not think
anything of eating our lunch standing up, when a man's voice asked if
we spoke English and would we like to come into his farm house for a
cup of tea ? He said that  we did not need to take our cycling shoes off to go into his home, we informed him that we had pushed our bike across the bike path frequented by cows and they had better be taken off.

He was minding a 400 cow dairy farm for his brother-in-law/sister/mother and we heard all about the problems of running a dairy farm (he lived on a farm closer to Fish Creek) of which their are many, as the super markets insist on selling milk at one dollar a litre which they buy from the
dairy suppliers who short change the farmers. He also said that the
family would not allow the old train track land, under licence to
them, to be turned into the next extension of the bike path, we said
that was okay with us.

dairy country
Heart 0 Comment 0

Arriving in Yarram we booked into the Yarram Holiday Park and later walked the short distance to the Yarram Country Club for dinner.  Waiting in the queue to order our dinner, we were told by a gentleman who had arrived with his wife for dinner,  that I should not have placed our table number down wards on the table, as the staff would not be able to find us when they brought our meals out. Mike had by now found out that the senior's roast meal had only been available for lunch, but the staff would ask if we could have a roast meal each for dinner. 

We later spend ages talking to this couple who had grown up in the area and were visiting family in town, they had a cycling mad son-in-law and were sure they had seen us on the road coming from Foster.  They told us that the huge Edwardian home for sale in the main street had once belonged to the manage of the butter factory back in the day, and our two roast dinners when they arrived were huge and delicious and were charged at the senior lunch price.

At this point after our struggle with the ride over the Strezleckis from Warragul to Korumburra Mike changed his route and decided that we would not ride back over part of the Strezelecki Ranges to Rosedale but would rather take a longer route along the coast.

http://www.victorianplaces.com...

https://www.visitpromcountry.c...

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 232 km (144 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0