Day seven Yarram to Sale - Pakenham to Bairnsdale Victoria Australia - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2017

Day seven Yarram to Sale

This was our longest day, so we left the Yarram Holiday Park early to get on the road.  We cycled along Commercial Road to buy supplies for lunch in the centre of the cbd.  Commercial Road the town's main thoroughfare had many traffic detours to try and control the trafffic, around the road construction crews, who were resurfacing both sides of the dual carriage way (Foster's main street was  also being resurfaced).  

Heading north along Commerical Road we followed the curving A440 road to the right past the Yarram Golf Club and found the open South Gippsland Highway ahead of us.   The South Gippsland Highway was straight and in the main empty of traffic, this two lane highway was bordered by gum trees who seemed to be the only ones aware of our passing. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After cycling 20kms in the quite morning we reached our first stop at Woodside (township) where we bought cups of tea at the service station / news agency / post office where the lady said she had passed us on the road, as she travelled to Yarram and back with the daily papers for the news agency.    The shop  was a hive of activity, with locals calling in to collect their post and parcels, others were buying the newspapers with news of the Australian Federal Budget handed down the night before.

Woodside consists of the above mentioned garage/news agency/post office, a small motel and a caravan park and the last chance for a cuppa   before Sale.

Woodside Service Station / News Agency / Post Office
Heart 0 Comment 0

 

Heart 0 Comment 0

The road to Sale had trees on both sides so there were no views to speak of and the road undulated but always upwards until peaking at about 100 metres altitude before dropping back to sea level as we crossed the Sale wetlands. We enjoyed the downhill bit.

Advice to readers who may be considering this route, leave the road at the sign for the swing bridge where you will find a number of bike paths that take you into town. We failed to do this and encountered a number of bridges across the wetlands without a shoulder and with heavy traffic.

Eventually we got into town and managed to secure a cabin at the large Sale Caravan Park next to the Wellington Visitor Information Centre.  Later that evening we saw two cyclists arriving at the park as we walked the short distance to Jack Ryan's Irish Bar, Raymond Street, Sale.  Mary  had fish and chips with salad, the fish tasted wonderful and the waiter said the fish had probably been bought that morning at the fish market. 

 

Jack Ryan's Irish Bar
Heart 0 Comment 0

 

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 310 km (193 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0