Day five Inverloch to Foster - Pakenham to Bairnsdale Victoria Australia - CycleBlaze

May 8, 2017

Day five Inverloch to Foster

Heart 0 Comment 0

Leaving the Inverloch Motel and its huge red flowering gum tree (where you some times heard and saw parrots) in the rear car park we set off for Foster. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0



We cycled along the C442 Inverloch - Venus Bay Road until we turned left along the C443 Tarwin Lower Road.   After some time we turned right on to the Buffalo - Tarwin Lower Road where we were passed by a mini bus of people cheering us on.  Crossing the Tarwin River we continued along the very slightly curving road until we joined the C444 Meeniyan - Promontory Road, where after some time we crossed Fish Creek and had arrived in the small town of Fish Creek. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride had started off on reasonably flat roads through farmlands until at the 30km mark we had a short spike climbing 75 metres in about 5km then a nice descent into Fish Creek where we stopped at the Fish Creek Roadhouse and Cafe on Foster Road opposite the famous Fish Creek Hotel, for morning tea. 

Fish Creek Roadhouse and Cafe
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Great Southern Rail Trail runs through here but we have ridden it before and found the numerous chicane gates a bit of a challenge with the tandem, so we elected to take the road which had a much steeper grade than the rail trail but eventually we reached the crest and were able to enjoy a downhill run.  

leaving Fish Creek
Heart 0 Comment 0
view of Wilson's Promontory Peninsula & National Park
Heart 0 Comment 0
road going up hill before the decent into Foster
Heart 0 Comment 0

Cycling out of Fish Creek on the C445 Fish Creek - Foster Road we eventually reached the junction of the C445 & C446, taking the left hand fork in the road we cycled along Hoddle Road and found our selves on the out skirts of Foster. Passing the race course / recreation reserve / golf course we wound our way through Foster and turned in to Station Road past the Foster Exchange Hotel.

Foster Exchange Hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Turning along Station Road we passed the Manna Gum Community House which stands in front of the Manna Community Garden, where locals grow fruit and vegetables next to a huge gum tree, which is well over 100 years old.  The council also grows vegetables in the local flower beds which   anyone is welcome to pick for free.

Just slightly further along  Station Road is the Station Road Reserver (a small park) which faces the Foster YHA, who's small rear garden runs down to the Stockyard Creek with its large gum trees.

YHA Foster
Heart 0 Comment 0

This is one of the old fashioned kind of YHAs that we were used to when we first met, being tiny by modern YHA standards, about 11 beds only. Fortunately they had our usual double room vacant and we had the whole YHA to ourselves.  Today was our forty sixth wedding anniversary  and staying at the  YHA was very appropriate  as we had met in a club that bush walked on weekends and stayed in English Youth Hostels.

After settling in we walked to the local supermarket and bought two frozen dinners and other groceries. We walked back to the YHA after calling in at the Library and the Information Centre Hub, which has a souvenior shop displaying and selling locally made craft items of the finest quality, we also passed the post office.

Foster Library and Information Centre Hub - locally made craft display area & souvenir shop corner
Heart 0 Comment 0
Foster Post office with mural of Magpies and post boxes
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 181 km (112 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0