On the road again - Triple Trails NZ - CycleBlaze

March 20, 2023

On the road again

We set off again this morning riding the Queenstown trail to Arrowtown one of what was supposed to be two spaced out rides however, the weather turned nasty so the afternoon ride to Wanaka didn’t happen.  Instead, after a wander around Arrowtown and lunch we stopped at the Mt Rosa winery for a tasting.  Arrowtown is a very cute town that’s origins date back to the gold rush in the 1800s and many of the buildings have been preserved from that era.  The ride to get there followed the lake and river except for 2 nasty climbs along the way.   

The other nasty surprise this morning was that our male guide, Will tested positive for Covid so he had to stay behind and quarantine for 7 days.  That meant our other guide Annie ahead to drive so we did not have a guide on the trail with us.  No to worry the other ex-military member of group took the lead and I did the sweeping.  Since I had to carry the heavy guide bag I was offered the spare e-bike instead of my own and I took it.  I was very happy to have it because even with that bike I was on boost and 1st gear by the time I made it to the to of the 2nd climb.  The company sent us a replacement guide so I will be back on my regular bike for the remaining 3 rides.

This is the second effort for this entry because I lost the first one so the photos are a little out of order.

The Remarkable mountain range as we ride out of Queenstown in the morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the Queenstown trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
Again the trail and the mountains
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the nasty climbs. This one topped out at 17%.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Hilary Jaeger17%, or, as I consider it, un-rideable!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The name for the climb, no s*#t.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Hilary JaegerTypical Kiwi understatement...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
One of the buildings in Arrowtown. This one is now part of a very cute museum that tells the tale of the gold rush. A considerable amount of gold was found in Otago at one point.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mt Rosa winery our tasting location.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We passed this local micro brewery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A wine I bought to enjoy when in Australia or at home since we can’t get this in Canada.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Queenstown before breakfast this morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another wonderful meal of venison.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Hilary JaegerI am very jealous of your numerous venison meals!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago



Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 900 km (559 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0