Day 2-a windy day to Lauder - Triple Trails NZ - CycleBlaze

March 17, 2023

Day 2-a windy day to Lauder

There was a serious threat of rain leaving Lauder so we delayed our departure for a few minutes but unfortunately that didn’t help.  We had some rain at the start and the finish of today’s ride.  However, the rain was not the main problem, it was the WIND.  For the first 27km we had a head wind of 50kph (30mph) with gusts up to 70kph (45mph).  We are riding a rail trail so the average grade is 2-3% but the gravel surface makes it about 3-4%.  With today’s wind it was more like 7-8% for 27km.  There were times when all I could manage was 6kph and I averaged 10.8kph over the first 27km.  I can tell you it was hard work and there was lots of cursing but once we reached the high point of the trail is was downhill and mostly down wind.  We rode through beautiful farm country with lots of sheep and cows and along the Raggedy Range.  Once in Lauder our location for the night we went off to Lake Bathans for a view of a former gold operation and a pint since it is St Paddy’s day here.

We have stayed in some funky places and this is just one. Don’t let the appearance fool you they were lovely.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A local walking his menagerie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lovely mural in a small town along the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
The high point of the trail, I was so happy to see this marker I could have kissed it.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonThis what is called TYPE 2 FUN. Here's the definition. I think you will agree.
Type II Fun
Type 2 fun is miserable while it’s happening, but fun in retrospect. It usually begins with the best intentions, and then things get carried away. Riding your bicycle across the country. Doing an ultramarathon. Working out till you puke, and, usually, ice and alpine climbing. Also surely familiar to mothers, at least during childbirth and the dreaded teenage years.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A close up
Heart 1 Comment 0
A very cute general store just before our lunch stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was our lunch stop with great food and an interesting atmosphere
Heart 1 Comment 0
A viaduct over the Panboon gorge
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tonight’s location
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of two tunnels traversed today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake at St Bathans where the gold mining took place
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonStunning photo!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
We were more interested in beer than gold mining so we ended up here
Heart 0 Comment 0
A NZ traffic jam
Heart 2 Comment 0
A rainbow on display on out way back from the lake, how perfect for St Paddy’s day.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 794 km (493 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0