A small glitch in the plan - Triple Trails NZ - CycleBlaze

March 13, 2023

A small glitch in the plan

We set off from Omarama this morning in cool wet conditions since it had rained last night and there was a good southerly breeze blowing.  In NZ southerlies are cold because the wind is coming up from Antarctica.  We lucky to not get rained on the trails were wet and muddy.  It was another tough day on the trail with several climbs that were too steep for me so I had to walk.  The last one was about 15% on a narrow track with a rough surface and a strong side wind.  What could go wrong here.  However I did ride most of the day and really enjoyed the flats and downhills around the lake.  You needed the courage of your convictions because the trail was not that wide and there was a drop off on the side.  Really it was no worse than what I have ridden up at Whistler but it freaked out some of our less experienced riders.  The glitch occurred because we had to cross a dam but it was being closed for maintenance late morning so not all of our cyclists made it in time.  In fact I was the last one across and the only one not on an e-bike.  The remainder of the ride was beautiful but much less challenging.  Tonight we are in the one horse town called Kurow.

Getting ready to set off this morning
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonOkay, reading all about the trails and it appears that this is very close to HIKING, which is NOT in my vocabulary. Glad you are having fun, glad I'm not doing this ride. Love the blog and will keep reading. :o)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Early on the trail with snow at altitude from last night’s rain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the valley and snow capped mountains. The trail sign is what we have been following
Heart 1 Comment 0
A look at the trail. The thin line if the foreground is the trail yet to be climbed
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back on what we climbed. There was more to come.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Down to the lake with still more climbing
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view from the top just before heading down to the dam
Heart 0 Comment 0
The dam that I crossed before it was closed
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had time after the ride and before dinner to sample some wines from a Waitaki valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Also a lovely cheese platter with cheeses that come from our next stop, Omaru.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wine tasting gang but not the whole group.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 599 km (372 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0