Eikedalsvatnet - Fjords and the Midnight Sun - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2009

Eikedalsvatnet

The blue skies and bright sunshine only lasted a day. Today is quite cloudy and I leave at 10am after a breakfast in little Reitan's campsite café, feeling a little hungover from the two cans of beer on an empty-ish stomach last night. It's 25km - including a thankfully quiet, 4km-long tunnel - cruising beside the waters of Eikedalsvatnet to the junction near the village of Nauste where it starts to rain. No snaps along this grey stretch, except in the dry tunnel.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Tunnels: the bane of bicycle tourists' lives. Norway, being mountainous, has more than its share of these long, damp tubes and some prohibit bicycles and so riders will have to catch a bus unless there's a side route veering around them... I did this a few times, but the paths are usually a nice quiet ride as they are devoid of other vehicles. The surface may not be in great condition, but that's no big deal. I never did come across one where I had to take a bus, but there are online sites showing where these are and if you are planning a long tour, it may be wise to do a bit of research.

Nauste's Coop service station has a supermarket and roomy café and I sit inside and use the wi-fi, Skype my wife and drink coffee. 

And wait. 

Eventually it eases and I pedal 7km up a climb to a 500m pass as it rains again and then drop fast but wet to a campsite where a trio of Swiss BMW motorbikers are sat outside a wood cabin. We chat. They offer me the remaining bunk, spliting the 400 krone cost four ways. Done.  Thanks very much.

I ride back to a nearby store and buy snacks and beer and one of the Swiss guys cooks a pasta dinner that we share sat at a table on the small, sheltered veranda as the rain continues to fall.

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 542 km (337 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0