Rest day in Mt. Lebanon (Pittsburgh): - Atlantic NorEaster - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2012

Rest day in Mt. Lebanon (Pittsburgh):

Best motel yet!

We spent a day off the bike at my parent's home in Mt. Lebanon. Had a great visit last night with my sister's family. Our daughter-in-law brought our three grandchildren up for a visit today so life is very good.

We tired out the grandchildren at the playground then took them for ice cream.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Three summers ago my father and I rode along the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Canal from his home in Mt. Lebanon to Washington, D.C. and then back to Cumberland, MD.  On that tour his uniquely customized bicycle garnered a lot of attention, not to mention that the rider was weeks away from his 83rd birthday. Well, there has been quite a bit of modification to the bicycle since then.

He wanted to be able to sit in a more straight up position so bar end extenders helped with that as well giving a better location to mount the stereo speakers and turn signals. The compass would have been a help to us on this trip. The water bottle is conveniently mounted at a location where he can get a full 8 oz. of water a day, especially in hot weather.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You never know when you are going to need string or 25 year old shoe laces. They come in handy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here's a solution to the problem many of us who fly a pennant on our bike face. The pole can easily break when being loaded into a vehicle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The solution is to make a hinge. We're not sure yet if this is going to hold up to anticipated heavy-duty use.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A water bottle cage mounted behind the front wheel is an ideal location to store some tools.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A milk bottle type plastic container is just the thing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Why buy a front rack when you can fabricate your own using scraps of aluminum commonly found in most workshops.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One mirror may be sufficient, but why take chances?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The finished product.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I think he really wanted to finish the last three days of the trip with us.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0