Mt. Lebanon, PA to Connellsville, PA: - Atlantic NorEaster - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2012

Mt. Lebanon, PA to Connellsville, PA:

We saw other crazy people out in the heat too!

My Dad took this picture of us before starting the day. We were already seeking out the shade at 7 am.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The first 10 miles were on crowded rush hour roads in suburban Pittsburgh. Nevertheless 3 miles after starting we had to scare a group of deer trying to cross four lanes of traffic. I don't think any drivers realized that the cyclists riding slowly in their way may have saved them from a deer collision. Once we got on the Montour and the Steel Valley Trails we saw every possible configuration of bridge I could imagine.

All that glitters is not gold but this pile at a recycling center was worth something.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We met a young couple cycling with a beautiful baby, under a year old. They were on a shakedown ride preparing for a planned tour from Washington D.C. to Pittsburgh. They were camping on this tour pulling the baby in a trailer. Everybody seemed to be having a good time. Unfortunately we didn't take their pictures.

This couple claimed to have been riding tandems together for 35 years. The husband said his wife is the only person he can stand having on the back of the tandem for more than a few hours. However she confided that sometimes she sees a bug on his back ready to bite and tells him she is leaving it there if he is not nice.
Heart 0 Comment 0


Temps were in the 90's by the time we made it to our motel but felt pretty good for a 70 mile day. Unfortunately, Rhona lost her wallet. After several fruitless searches of the motel room we decided to cycle back to a campground where we stopped to buy ice cream. That added another 11 miles to the day's total and was a good opportunity to practice keeping one's mouth shut when blaming words might come out. We know now how to cancel credit cards and replace a driver's license. It turns out it's a good thing we finally obtained our marriage license last year (after 37 years of marriage) because Rhona has to have documentation if she has EVER changed her name.

Today's ride: 81 miles (130 km)
Total: 1,984 miles (3,193 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0