Conshohocken, PA to Philipsburg, NJ - Atlantic NorEaster - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2012

Conshohocken, PA to Philipsburg, NJ

Cousin Kevan's daughter Elizabeth gave us a ride to Conshohocken on her way to work this morning. It was nice catching up on what is happening in her life. The Adventure Cycling map did a good job providing detail as we left town. The route provided many opportunities for us to see expensive palatial mansions and estates.

We happened upon an area described only as "The Mills" on the nearby plaque. The development on the property dates back to 1700. One of those times we wished we had more time to explore.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We met Bob riding a fully loaded touring bicycles heading southbound on Adventure cycling Atlantic Coast route. He is from New York and has 1 month to reach Key West, Florida.

I'm not sure what's wrong with my mouth in this picture. I'd like to think it is one of those camera tricks, but Rhona took two pictures and the expression in the other is the same.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We crossed the Delaware river into New Jersey and rode on the Delaware and Ruritan Canal for a while until it started to rain. Portions of the canal were re-watered and were quite scenic.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
like these old buildings near canals. Probably pretty lively places when the boats were running.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Statues of mules seem to proliferate near canals. You frequently see statues of famous great men posed with their horses. I seem to have a lot of pictures of me standing next to a mule. I wonder if there is a message there somewhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Since the afternoon route basically followed the river valley it was flat and easy riding. We finished the day with energy to spare.

A kayak passed by at just the right time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For some reason all of the pictures in the hall of our hotel are exactly the same. There are at least twenty in the entire hotel. As we walked down the hall looking at the same picture over and over I thought, if this picture is good enough for someone to purchase twenty of them, the least I should do is share it in the journal. Enjoy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pictures displayed as far as the eye can see.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 73 miles (117 km)
Total: 447 miles (719 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0