Day 9 - Reisbach to Landshut - Off on an Impulse - CycleBlaze

May 5, 2018

Day 9 - Reisbach to Landshut

Well, it seems we have finally reached the end of the tour. We weren't sure we would really cycle all nine days since we hadn't ridden a longer tour since last June, and in the meantime, as I have already mentioned elsewhere, there were health problems. But hurray! we finished without any mishaps, accidents, illness or loss of motivation for cycle touring. Creating the journal when we are back home has been more of a challenge. But we are now on the last page, made it. Only the motivation for writing after the fact is sometimes lacking.

And now to the last day and good weather - we have been so fortunate. We are again using paper maps and local bike path signs since I hadn't planned this route at home. We don't have a very detailed map with us, something we vow not to forget next time. I am reluctant to carry a laptop on our trips, and a laptop would be necessary for creating new Garmin routes. How involved we have become with modern technology. Nevertheless, we fare very well without a Garmin route and are impressed by the many bike lanes next to the busier roads with no shoulder.

We're on our way. Easy riding on small roads used mainly by farm vehicles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A little grey at the onset, but fine for riding. And a fine bike lane.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The fields are ready for planting - in addition to grain, vegetables are grown in this area.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Scott AndersonBeautiful. This is a type of photo I’m always trying to take but never seem to get right.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonThanks - it works if the light's right, I also did some cropping.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
We are impressed by the bicycle infrastructure that we find that is not part of the official tourist bike paths.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The canola isn't finished yet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The scent of lilacs fills the air.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our plan is to return to the original route and finish the tour along the Isar. We could have just headed over the hills in the direction of Landshut and not chosen the Isar Bike Path, but the Isar Path sounded easier. The direct route would have been more interesting - hindsight. Not that cycling along the river wasn't pretty, but a wee bit monotonous and lots of gravel and unpaved surfaces.

We have reached the Isar which we can follow all the way to Landshut - or if we wished to Munich.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bridge over the Isar and the Isar Bike Path
Heart 1 Comment 0
Following a river doesn't mean you always see the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What could be lovelier than cycling in Spring.
Heart 2 Comment 1
I've cycled 3,000 km since I bought my bike last March.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Enough of the pretty river bike path - we finally reach Landshut. We had left the car in a residential section on the fringe of Landshut. Fortunately, we remembered to mark on Google maps where we had parked, and there we found our little Skoda, safe and sound. As was to be expected, we never did ride into Landshut to see the historic part of town. Just got in the car and rode home.

Back to the beginning
Heart 1 Comment 0

That was it for Lower Bavaria. Another trip journal is coming up - this time we got closer to the mountains south of Munich. Stay tuned!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 401 km (249 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Tricia GrahamA lovely trip to follow Suzanne we look forward to your next one. Yes it is hard to write a journal after the event, I only did it once. Almost requiring the same discipline as I am struggling with to do an online german language course!
regards
Tricia
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Mike AylingAn interesting journal Suzanne.

We must really get to Europe sometime!

Mike
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Tricia GrahamThanks, Trish!
Good luck with your German!
Viel Glück!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Mike AylingThanks, Mike!
Yes, I'm sure you would enjoy touring here. It's just the getting here ...
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonGreat journal, Suzanne. Thanks for taking us along, and for seeing it through to the end after the fact. Regarding the need for a laptop to create routes on the fly though - there are alternatives. Rachael is the one who understands this best, but we do this all the time now. It’s very helpful to create a new route more or less on the fly, of course. She does it all with her cellphone - a Samsung Galaxy S8. I draw routes on RidewithGPS (I use my iPad, but I assume you could with a phone just as well), she downloads it to the phone, and then transfers it to our Garmin device. This was only possible with the new phone (not possible with an iPhone apparently), but I’m not really clear why that is.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonI'm inspired!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Kathleen JonesSuzanne,

A wonderful little tour and superb photography as usual. Thanks.

-Kathleen
Reply to this comment
5 years ago