Day 7 - Passau to Aidenbach - Off on an Impulse - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2018

Day 7 - Passau to Aidenbach

Is it possible to have so many days in a row with good weather? The predicted rain for today didn't happen, it was just a perfect day.

The hotel breakfast is excellent, and for a reasonable price. The breakfast room itself is wonderful with ornate glass candelabras and beautiful examples of fine glass on exhibit.

The weather is good, the breakfast is good, but the route I had planned for today is not good. But first we have about 25 kilometers along the Danube, the same kilometers we pedaled yesterday, before we get to the turn off for the Vils Bike Path. The bike path leaving, or entering, Passau isn't particularly good. It's not always well signposted and there are some parts that are a bit tricky. Considering what a popular bike path this is and how much tourism it brings to the city, I was expecting it to be a little better cared for.

Once we  get out of the outskirts of Passau, we are fine. We are on the same path as yesterday but the path always will look different going in the other direction. Today it is much more enjoyable, maybe because it is the start of the day and we are fresh and well rested. Or maybe the views are nicer from this direction, who knows.

We again cross the Kachlet dam bridge to the other side of the Danube.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Actually, the bike paths on the periphery of Passau are not particularly good. Here we are asked to use this tunnel to cross the highway. Why don't they install a traffic light, considering how many cyclists travel this route in the summer. I am not responsible for the graffiti.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is how we like it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Some more of that gravel - but today I checked the km's, it was only five on the dirt path. Yesterday it seemed like many more.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Same bench where we took a break yesterday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View to the Danube
Heart 2 Comment 0
Spring meadow
Heart 5 Comment 0


At Vilshofen we cross the Danube and follow my route up, and up, and up - and very steep. We can no longer pedal our e-bikes in the lowest gear and the highest level of assist. If you look at the map and profile at the bottom of the page, you will see what I mean. And those bikes are heavy. I can hardly push mine. Janos to the rescue. Why on earth did I plan the route on this road? I can no longer remember, but I must have had a reason. To get back down, yes down, to the Vils Bike Path we have some rough trails. Eventually, we get where we want to be. At home, I looked at my notes and saw that there was some sort of church up there. Which I had forgotten about when we got there!

We are now about to follow the Vils river. We could have gotten on the path without a climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the distance, you can see the church which we didn't visit.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesClose enough, Suzanne!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
On the Vils Bike Path
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Vils, quite different from the mighty Danube
Heart 0 Comment 0

We might have missed the first church of the day - but there is another one on the agenda. Abbey Aldersbach has one of the finest of the baroque churches we have visited. We are disappointed to see that it is being renovated and much of the interior is hidden behind scaffolding. But the abbey is also known for its beer. Brewing was first recorded in the monastery in 1268. The abbey brewery passed in 1811 into the hands of Johann Adam von Aretin, whose family still own it as the Brauerei Aldersbach.

It's too early for a beer, too bad.

The church is under renovation and much is hidden behind scaffolding and nets.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Abbey church at Aldersbach
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our hotel is another 5 km down the road. We are at Hotel Leonardo, and the hotel restaurant is Italian. I have pizza and an Aldersbach beer.

Many steps to climb with our bags at the end of the day
Heart 1 Comment 0




Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 303 km (188 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonThat’s such a nice ride profile, except for that unsightly 5k blemish. Looks like a planning error I might make.

You couldn’t even make it up with an e-assist? I think we’re going to try one of these out, btw. There is an organization that runs e-bike tours of Meteora that we’re considering, mostly because it’s a way to have a guide along to explain what we’re seeing.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonCurious to hear what you think of the e-bikes, if you do try them out. David Alston and his wife Maun from crazyguy are here in Munich now and rented e-bikes for a day. The rentals weren't too impressive so it was hard for them to get an idea what it would really feel like to ride one.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago