New Years Day 2017: Trail ride to Napier in the wind - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

January 1, 2017

New Years Day 2017: Trail ride to Napier in the wind

Happy New Year to all who are reading my blog. On our New Years Day we had a leisurely morning with a walk to holiday home that I am likely to rent in Jan 2019 if all goes well. At lunch we went to the oldest winery in NZ which is within walking distance of this location. It is called Mission Estate Winery and we had a very pleasant meal in a nice setting. After lunch we decided to ride into Napier on the trails to see the town. It was very windy but we managed to make it there and home. On the way home we picked some some lovely fresh veg for a salad supper but of course there was wine. Napier is the major city here but not very big. It was destroyed in 1931 by a major earthquake. The town was rebuilt in the style of the day which was heavy into Art Deco. They have an Art Deco Festival every Feb where people dress up in the clothes of the era and cars from the era come from miles away.

Mission Estate winery the oldest winery in NZ.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The four of us at lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mission Estate Winery entrance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed it again on our bike ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many old cars that can be seen in the region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti on the Ahuriri cycle pathway today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
White headed stilt that are very common here and like sandspipers at home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the pathway. These signs keep you going in the right direction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the Art Deco buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the local tour guides in period costume with Derek.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another Art Deco building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old firehall in Art Deco style.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me with a Maori mermaid.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A silk tree.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A selfie on the bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Napier beach with Cape Kidnappers in the far distance. There is an amazing golf course there but at $400+ I won't be playing it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset over Napier on New Years Day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 286 km (178 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0