Agen - Munich to Paris the Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2019

Agen

The first half was very good

The view from our room after dark
Heart 0 Comment 0

What a great hotel that was last night. Ken had bought some yummy things at the boulangerie so we ate in our spacious room looking out at the view of the Tarn

Another cool day so again we didn’t have to start as early. In fact we started off with our coats on and were to leave them on most of the day.  The route for the pilgrims walking the Camino also follows the canal for a while so we were able to say Buon Camino to those we passed, Ken who was plagued by blisters always wonders  how their feet are.  Although there were some boats tied up beside the canal we actually only saw one moving the entire day.  Valance d’Agen was at around the 20km mark and we had decided to get off here to explore the town and have our usual coffee.  But it was here that it happened, we had stopped to turn off and go up the steep slope.  I went to get off my bike but in slow motion fell over like a ton of bricks with the bike on top.  Getting my heavy weight up is not an easy thing and it would be a good deal easier if a crane was involved.  Basically no damage except that my Achilles’ tendon that has been giving me trouble got a twist and certainly was very sore.  Straight back onto the horse and we found a cafe and I regained  my smiling face.

Ken is fascinated by old brick chimneys
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lovely old bridge across the canal and the river - at this spot and indeed for most of the day they were very close
Heart 3 Comment 0
Boats at rest
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pretty ecluse house
Heart 2 Comment 0

Now today in the cafe it was rather different instead of a few old men sitting around solving the problems of France there were masses of young women, the chatting was so loud it was like being in a bird cage.  Some of them had young children in push chairs but there were no older children and no men (even the older guys had been scared away). With some difficulty we found a table, ordered a coffee and wondered exactly what was happening.  Then it clicked it was about 9am and the 2nd September so must be the first day of the new school year.  I went over and spoke to one of the mums - yes it was, they had just dropped their offspring at school .  They were all talking at once no doubt either glad or devastated by the teachers the kids had drawn.  I wished all children in France a good school year and went back to my coffee.

The Mums in conference
Heart 2 Comment 0

We had around thirty five km to go so back on the bike and down to the canal.  Actually it wasn’t too bad,  particularly after Ken had rubbed my ankle with Voltarin - the main problem being that it is difficult to stand on my left leg so getting on the bike a problem so I had to invent a new method of doing it.  From there into Agen the canal track is not as pretty and there is a fair bit of industry so it actually gets a bit boring.

Heart 1 Comment 0
What a contrast- a great photo Ken
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Will he make the Tour de France
Heart 1 Comment 0
Aussies on board, the only ones we saw moving today
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I REALLY want to know what this tree is so we can get one - we often see them at this time of the year
Heart 1 Comment 0

We found the Ibis easily and have decided to take tomorrow off.  We could do with a day off as we haven’t had one since we started in Munich and I will sit with my leg up.  Ken has explored the nice city centre and is fetching food.

We had to get under the railway
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Ibis
Heart 0 Comment 0
Agen centre
Heart 2 Comment 0
Agen
Heart 3 Comment 0
Agen
Heart 2 Comment 0
Agen
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 1,752 km (1,088 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Suzanne GibsonSo sorry to hear about your injury! I hope it's feeling better by the day after tomorrow. Smart to take a day off! You have already done 1,752 km without a break! Yikes!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Suzanne GibsonIt has actually been bothering me all the way that tumble today just made it a lot worse. Can’t think of anything nicer than lying on a comfortable bed for the day tomorrow! Sure it will be fine to continue then. Thanks for your concern
Tricia
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jan HaywardAgree with Suzanne. Don't do any heroics. Take it easy my dear old friend. Kia Kaha!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Jan HaywardAm enjoying spending the day lazily lying resting my leg. Actually it feels heaps better and we could have risen today but feel like a day off anyway 😊
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonI’m so sorry to hear about your fall! Hopefully a day’s R&R will be just the ticket to a quick recovery.

When Rachael reads this though, I’m sure she’ll be envious about what a nice traveling companion you apparently have. I’d have taken a photo before helping you up.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jack WatsonI am fascinated by your photos of the canals. Years ago I had an elderly cousin (by marriage) who had a twin keel steel yacht (Bluebird of Thorne) built specially to access the Mediterranean from England inland. The masts folded. Later they sailed Bluebird to New Zealand, and after arrival in Auckland decided to call it a day and sold the yacht to Americans. He also had a couple of very interesting cars--I'll show you photos of them one day. Hope your ankle continues to improve, Trish, will find out in a minute when I read on.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Scott AndersonThings going well Scott was a bit concerned when I hit hills today but actually felt better on hills than on the flat
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Jack WatsonThe amount of work that went into making the canals is mind boggling especially when you realise they only had hand tools. Ankle progressing
Reply to this comment
4 years ago