Pagosa Springs, CO - Chama, NM - The Mountain Goat Tour - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2011

Pagosa Springs, CO - Chama, NM

I believe this is a fancy way to get deer and elk to go under the road rather than cross the road and potentially get hit. But I'm not sure. In this area there isn't much traffic - doesn't seem too necessary to have a deer pathway. Anyone have better knowledge?
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love long uphills with a curve at the top. You never know if the top is right there, or more climbing. . . . a hidden top keeps the touring cyclist's life interesting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A curious foal in front of a well kept ranch with the classic red barn. This green valley was our downhill payback for the climb in the previous photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
John Stephens (custom Bilenky) in his daily mode - start late and pass everyone. Unless something takes his fancy - then he would sometimes show up in town long after everyone else.
Heart 0 Comment 0
John's well broken in Brooks saddle. John said it was a long, tedious process with many short rides in town before the saddle was tour ready.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typically scenery for today. Lush, green grass and happy, grazing cows.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a snow fence. It is used in areas of high wind and snow to help keep snow off of the road. It was the wrong season for snow, and luckily, no wind today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is what John is doing when he shows up in town long after the rest of us? I have taken a roadside nap a few times in my touring career, but usually in a nice grassy spot in the shade . . . .
Heart 0 Comment 0
An abandoned drive in movie theatre on the outskirts of Chama, NM. Drive in theatres are of particular interest to me as my mother has a thriving drive in located in Delta, CO.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cheryl (pictured), Genny, and Jacinto had enough energy after the 48 miles to Chama to play Frisbee with a Frisbee Jacinto found on the side of the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were all in town, nice and dry, when the afternoon monsoons hit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0