Scenic geology landscape - Trains, World Cup and Ashes - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2019

Scenic geology landscape

Villarmero to Espejo

Dewey night
Heart 0 Comment 0

Overnight the big difference from previous nights camping is that in the morning my tent is covered in dew, now that I’m 300kms north of previous places. Luckily there was not a cloud in the sky so tent dried easily. Slightly different feeling sleeping last night back with old thermarest mat. 

I wasn’t sure if I could continue on the rail rough right of way as my map.me app suggested rail trail didn’t start until 4kms away but I found after a kilometre the rail trail suddenly starts in the middle of  nowhere with just a information board. What I saw on the information board is that in the future the plan is to develop a trail from near Valencia on the Mediterranean to Santander on the northern coastline using rail trails but most has not been developed yet, today would cycle only 40kms on trail and will continue following this former railway line for another 18kms before leaving it. Just as I made the proper start of the rail trail, discovered my main water bottle was missing so retraced all the way back to last nights camp but didn't find it. Having used the same bottle in last years trip was annoyed with myself. Thankfully soon after leaving last nights camp again, found the bottle.

For 10kms the rail trail was okay, flat through farm land, passing through the small town of Sotopalacios, stopping to visit the small supermarket next to rail trail. So far with a slight headwind, the day didn’t feel special. Ahead was range of hills spread out in both directions, luckily railway went through 2 tunnels to the high point of the rail trail.

Heart 0 Comment 0
About to cross hill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

As the descending begins the landscape suddenly changes to red soil with plants in flower, so was able to enjoy the scenery while barely peddling, only noticing the kilometres passing by because the trail has kilometre markers. Not sure why but the rail trail is split in half with kilometre marker counting down from 21kms and then starting countdown again at 21kms. The second half was even more scenic especially if your into geology as the rail trail passes through an area with numerous layering as trail follows a river which I assume over millenniums has shaped the valley leaving the landscape the way it is. Went through a couple of small farm towns and went past some farmers ploughing paddocks, reminded me of home, just with smaller farming equipment.  

Surprised at change in landscape
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small farms on today's route
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
So many layers
Heart 0 Comment 0
This landscape went on for a while
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The rail trail suddenly ends in a random location with only a noticeboard there. The rail right of way continues with rails gone but ballast still there, looks like rails have been removed recently as it is stringed off with orange tape. Back on the road I followed the railway line crossing it a few times as I took a gravel road beside it instead of joining the highway. This took me into the town of Ona. 

Random end of rail trail, hopefully it will be extended, especially as town of Ona is close by further on
Heart 0 Comment 0
Could see rail right of way most of the time
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ona railway complex, town was okay to see but nothing memorable
Heart 0 Comment 0

I should have returned to highway but with a rail tunnel just around the corner went ahead but it was rough on the ballast so after tunnel joined a walkway which lead to a road that bypasses the highway tunnels but ended with concrete barriers in the way, so had to climb over. In the mean time the railway right of way went through numerous tunnels and disappeared from my view.

Rough ride on ballast, so left using walking path
Heart 0 Comment 0
quiet route around the highway
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the quiet highway after a short climb and a right turn the road goes through a deep gorge for 6kms to the town of Trespaderne. Half way along there was some natural tunnels to look at. Once in the quiet town, couldn't find an open supermarket but a local cafe had free wifi, so stopped here for a while to check internet and for an ice cream.

natural tunnels found by seeing a sign on the highway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Highway was quiet but still semi trucks on the route
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Hopefully one day when the rail trail is built I can cycle towards Santander but with needing to head towards France and with weekend weather looking not great I turned east following Ebro river nearly all the way. Initially it was okay scenery with quiet traffic but becomes scenic and narrow through a gorge with a few tunnels. Gorge part only lasted 5kms as once past the dam wall landscape changes. 

Wide open ride at the start of the afternoon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not sure why they need two kilometer markers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

My future warmshower host Alfredo in Vitoria-Gasteiz had suggest an alternative route to my planned route of continuing following the Ebro river via the city of Meranda as route becomes a busy freeway with not many quiet road options, instead the alternative route requires a climb but will be quiet, so literally at a t-intersection had to make a choice. Deciding on the quiet option, finishing my ride before the climb in a small town of Espejo with a small supermarket. I looked at my cycle computer at the end of the day and was surprised I had done 111kms, today hadn’t even noticed how much kilometre I had been doing because scenery has been so distracting, an excellent day.

At Espejo watched a different type of racquet sport which appeared to be a combination of squash and tennis, have seen a few types of slightly different version of sport while in Spain. Dinner was in a small park near the church before camping near the football pitch.

Today's ride: 111 km (69 miles)
Total: 1,651 km (1,025 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0