Roman history - Trains, World Cup and Ashes - CycleBlaze

April 24, 2019

Roman history

Merida to Zafra by train

Sometimes you just randomly end up in an interesting place by chance, after yesterday’s terrible on and off rainy day cycling to Villanueva de la Serena and seeing the next 2 days would be similar weather decide to utilise the local train service for the next few days.

From rail map realised the junction city of Merida would work well as a place to change trains and make my way south to Seville. 

What I didn’t realise is that Merida has many Roman relics and for 15 euros was able to obtain a city wide pass to enable me to explore a fair few of them. Reminded me of Plovdiv in Bulgaria and Istanbul which shows just how far the Roman Empire did stretch. 

While the main tourist site of the theatre was okay, of more interest was when I went for a cycle north of the railway station finding two Roman aqueducts and the Roman Circus, a chariot race track that has been uncovered. Not sure why by Roman infrastructure fascinates me, possible because it has survived 2000 years and often been buried and forgotten for centuries. Perhaps it reminds me of finding old railway infrastructure.

As well visited the Wall of the Citadel which is a stronghold gate next to the Roman era bridge that changed hands numerous times from Romans to Moors to Spanish royalty to both sides during Spanish civil war and such each time a new force conquered it they would changed it to suit there military and cultural needs like a mosque becoming a church.

Had lots of information boards describing its history
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Theatre, that is still used
Heart 2 Comment 0
Amazing what survives
Heart 1 Comment 0
Remind of a Roman era house
Heart 0 Comment 0
Large water chamber is below this Islamic era building
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Was even longer than what’s in the photo, crossing railway line
Heart 1 Comment 0
Longer than the previous aqueduct
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bicycle path leads up beside this aqueduct which isn’t the same as previous photo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chariot track, lost for centuries
Heart 1 Comment 0
Other half of chariot track
Heart 0 Comment 0
Second aqueduct again
Heart 1 Comment 0

The weather has been so changeable with one moment being sunny to suddenly heavy rain and cold wind coming from various directions, so has been enjoyable not focusing on cycling, forecast looks like sunny will return on Friday so in the mean time will train to Seville but with only one train a day from Merida all the way to Seville, took the chance to split my ride in Zafra. A more catholic focused city with a small former walled city area. Was heavy rain on my arrival into Zafra but it has stopped since.

As for catching local trains in Spain so far has been easy with trains usually less than half full and have had no trouble with booking bicycle on train. There is only a few dedicated spaces on trains for bikes but have been the only person so far. If travel is less than 100kms it’s free to take bicycle but 3 euros for any length further.

Today's ride: 13 km (8 miles)
Total: 238 km (148 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0