Rain and wind go away - Trains, World Cup and Ashes - CycleBlaze

April 23, 2019

Rain and wind go away

Logrosan to Villanueva de La Serena

Awoke to rain overnight but thankfully most of tent have been sheltered under railway goodshed veranda. From here the Vias Verdes de las Vegas starts and this section was actually used by trains for a while. Before leaving town left bike locked up beside the rail trail and walk up to town to get some food at supermarket as not many towns are on the route today. 

Weather was looking okay as I set off slowly descending but overtime the weather became worse starting with wind but then every so often heavy rain would start and then stop so glad I purchased a rain-jacket in Madrid. Trail was flat and landscape not particularly interesting, passing through farm land. As well, no water fountains on the trail and stations are in even worse shape than Vias Verdes de la Jara. At one stage had to open wire gates as sheep and two guard dogs were on the trail.

The weather didn’t help but I just didn’t enjoy this flat rail trail and having to divert away from the trail just after crossing the Guadiana river when the wind was strongest didn’t help, so was glad to make it to Villanueva de la Serena.

Where I slept last night
Heart 0 Comment 0
Map of today’s route
Heart 1 Comment 0
Left bike here while I walked up to town to get some groceries. Weather looked okay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Only 2 gates on trail, sheep and 2 guard dogs inside
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last viaduct on the trail, windy was strong now
Heart 0 Comment 0

 With weather looking similar for the next 2 days, instead of cycling directly to Córdoba, decided to take the train to Seville with a stop over in Merida. Finding an Airbnb in Merida so caught the afternoon train there. While check weather online at Burger King, got email confirming Emirates had found my bag and can deliver it to Madrid. Since I want to be back in Madrid to vote in Australian election between May 8 and 17, will wait until then to collect my gear. Renata my warmshower host will look after it until then.

I found that Merida is a former Roman town that had lots of places of interest to explore in the morning.

Useful map for figuring out where I can go by train in Spain with bike
Heart 1 Comment 0
Roman bridge in Merida
Heart 2 Comment 0
Merida Alcatraz
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 225 km (140 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0