Near Albacete to Murcia by train - Trains, World Cup and Ashes - CycleBlaze

May 7, 2019

Near Albacete to Murcia by train

via Alicante

Numerous people had recommended visiting Granada and having found that the final of the Copa de la Reina is on May 11, decided to time my arrival for then. However because of delays it was not possible to cycle directly to Granada by the route I hoped. So instead found route using trains but with a 150km gap between Agulius to Almeria. There are also issue with some sections having bus replacing trains and that certain routes don’t allow bicycles on trains and other routes only have certain trains that allow bicycles.

After short ride on rail trail joined canal route into Albacete as rail right of way is now a freeway. At one point had to jump over 5 road barriers as canal goes under road as path beside canal is flooded. 

Canal took me into Albacete
Heart 0 Comment 0
had to lift bicycle over road barriers and fences due to flooding in this canal
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Albacete spent some time exploring city before my train left at 12:30. It was an okay city but not a lot to see. Did have a decent tourist information centre with informative tourist map provided and some park areas to explore.

Lots of recycling options in southern Spain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Library in Albacete
Heart 0 Comment 0
mural at railway station
Heart 0 Comment 0

I couldn’t take a direct train to Murcia as no trains that allow bicycles go that way so instead went via Alicante, a coastal town that was okay to see but very busy with tourist especially sun-bakers and a few no-cycling signs around. Was able to see the Mediterranean again having last seen it at Gallipoli September last year. There is also a yachting museum but it was closed today. Spent majority of my time walking up to the castle on a hill, that dominates the landscape but couldn't find a way into the castle and neither could fellow tourists. 

Alicante
Heart 0 Comment 0
Climbing up to castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Route up to castle goes through houses like this
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Not sure why but hourly local trains run between Alicante and Murcia so was able to choose a train that suited me. Through one town the train went underground for a while and I could see in places how the fast rail line is being built to Murcia. I booked an Airbnb in Murcia as I was in need of a shower and expected to be exploring the city tomorrow morning.

However while double checking train times online I found an issue with taking bikes on train between Almeria and Granada, so spent a few hours late in the night trying to work out if I should risk that way with the potential of having to cycle an extra 180kms directly to Granada or using the train system to go back towards Madrid, finding somewhere to store the bike and get train directly to Granada without bike. 

Today's ride: 29 km (18 miles)
Total: 1,204 km (748 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0